Redworms from Walmart

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 25, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Walmart sells little tubs of 30 Trout and Panfish Worms for about $3. Has anyone ever caught anything on these? Last summer I bought a pack of these and never got the first bite. However, their nightcrawlers will catch fish. 20 for $3, not too bad a price. I bought the Trout and Panfish worms to catch bluegill for bait, but they just don't work for me. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

2. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    never tried them.

3. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    nope I use them and they work just like any other reds that I have bought Matter affact that the only place I get them at now it's easy and convient to get

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I use them all the time to catch bream. They work fine, but I always check to make sure they are lively first. I could never figure out why they call them "trout worms". What the heck?

5. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I fished the redworms and nightcrawlers on two separate rods a couple of times and the fish preferred the nightcrawlers. I was using about 1/3 of a crawler on #8 hook for bluegill. I'll continue to buy their 'crawlers because they work well. Two live crawlers on a 3/0 to 5/0 Kahle hook on a slip sinker rig is a fine catfish bait.

One thing about keeping nightcrawlers, I buy mine about a week ahead of time before I go fishing. I take them out of their original container and put them in rainwater moistened Buss Worm Bedding in a gallon plastic coffee container and it really fattens them up in a few days. I thought about starting a worm bed but crawlers are still fairly cheap and affordable in tubs of 20.

6. festus

festus New Member

Redworms make great trout bait in early spring. I used to fish redworms using 2 lb test line and no sinker or float. Threw upstream and let the current wash the worm into the fish territory.

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Oh, I never knew that. I always used flies and I have seen folks use corn before, but I had never seen redworms used.

8. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, right after a rain or while the water's a little muddy in the spring, trout will hit worms and nightcrawlers. Well, nowadays most of the trout around here a hatchery stocked trout and they'll hit about anything sized to them. Somebody was rapping on here a while back and said an easy way to catch freshly stocked trout is to fish on the first rainy day after the stocking. They're used to being fed fish pellets. When they see the raindrops breaking the surface, they think they're being fed.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Word of advice, anytime when buying nightcrawlers or worms form Wally World, please open it up to see if they are still alive. On one occasion, I got to my baitcatching hole and opened up the box to see only like 4 worms in there. Another time, I opened up the box to find out all the worms were dead.

10. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    I use European Nightcrawlers that I raise. Much more active than Northern Nightcrawlers and larger than Redworms and more active in the water. They will live for around 1/2 hour in water, don't need refrigeration, and live in salt/brackish water for almost as long. Great for ice fishing also.

11. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I always check to see if they're alive or look short. The only problem I've had I remember from Walmart nightcrawlers was there were only 18 in there instead of 20. I told them about it and they gave me a couple extra the last time. A cashier once told me they caught some kid opening two tubs of worms and put about half of one tub into the other tub and tried to get more than he had paid for.

12. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Never used worms for anything but bluegill.

13. festus

festus New Member

About anything will hit a nightcrawler, but I got me a cricket cage the other day and might start using them for bluegill. The bream sure like those little 1-1/2" and 2" Rapalas.

14. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    I really like using meal worms myself for the bream fishing.But that is all in my opinion.But I have used night crawlers too and they work just as good.Most specially for shellcrackers the darker the worm is the better they like it.

15. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Amen to checking the tubs of worms. I've found moldy tubs and half empty tubs on more than one occasion. One time when I was checking the guy behind the counter got mad. I told him he could just get glad in the same drawers he got mad in. If I'm paying for them, I want to make sure they're good and lively!

16. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I like that you go Deb!

17. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I tried to buy worms from wallmart and they were all frozen.

18. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    They sure don't put much love into their worm care do they? :skeleton:

19. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    At our WalMart, the worm cooler got unplugged last summer and a terrible stink filled the whole back area of the store.

They did not do much business that day! :bulgy-eyes:

drd

20. festus

festus New Member

We have some bad Walmarts in my area as far as fishing tackle goes. The nearest Walmart to me is about 15 minutes away, in Oak Ridge, TN. They seemed to have gotten some more stuff in lately. The Walmarts in Knoxville are pretty bad, I don't advise anyone to go there shopping for fishing tackle or hunting supplies. I went to the Walmart in Lenoir City, and it's about the worse one I've seen yet.

But there's a pretty decent Walmart in Rockwood, TN, about half an hour away for me. Maybe it's because it's only 5 minutes from Watts Bar Lake. They still don't have lots of stuff like big striper or muskie jigs, catfish stuff other than some overpriced trot lines, jugs, and ineffective stink baits. I will check out the Walmart in Clinton, TN, they may be stocked up well because it's near Clinch River trout water.