Redtail Catfish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 20, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As some of you know it is my dream to some day fish for & catch a Redtail Catfish. These are beautiful creatures & I am in love with them. Below are three of my favorite pics.

#1 is very small, in fact acquarim size. I have thought about getting one for a long time. To get bought & shipped here if one isnt found here is about $60-100 from what I've found.

#2 is a med one, in a tank here in the states. This is one of the best looking Redtails I've seen in a tank. This fish is now in 5000 gallon pond, swimming freely. While it was in the tank it could come up several times a day wanting to be peted.

#3.) This large Redtail used to reside in a zoo in Indiana I think. The zoo has closed down & I don't know where this Redtail is anymore.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dude if You "ever" come over here agin, I can put you on all the redtails you want..I catch them all the time.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That tail wouldn't last long in the waters around here. Pretty fish thou

Do you like them because you are often Redfaced?

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shoot man, these cats would eat ANYTHING & EVERYTHING in our waters. I have even heard of them biting Ox in the ankles & killing them, the eating them. Most are in South America. I think the perfeered bait in the amazon are Phirana's weighing 10-50#'s. Yes, that's the BAIT. :wink:

Description: Length, up to 4'7". Weight, up to 180 lbs. Black, Dark brown, or dark gray on top. Sometimes spots on the head. White or cream colored on sides and underside. Red tail. Fins sometimes tipped or edged in red. Large mouth. Large sail-like dorsal fin. Up to 6 barbels (whiskers) protruding from the snout. Like most catfish, they have barbed spines in the front of the dorsal and pectoral spines.

Geographic Range: South America, Amazon and Orinoco River Basins.

Habitat: Fresh water rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds. Mostly a bottom dweller.

Food: Fish, invertebrates, fruit, and some other plant material. Known to have a large appetite. Most North American catfish are fairly sedentary bottom feeders, but many of the large species of South American catfish are much more active and predatory (like the Red-tailed Catfish).

Reproduction: Oviparous (meaning egg laying).

Notes: Commonly utilized as a food source. Popular fish in zoos and aquaria. Red-tailed Catfish have been introduced into Florida, but have not yet established a sustainable population. The barbels are extremely sensitive and loaded with chemical reception cells (that act like another sense of smell). The Red Tails are located in the central Lily Pond in the Rain Forest Pyramid.

5. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    I had a redtailed catfish in one of my tanks here at home for awhile, got it @ 3inches and it was over 15 inches when i lost it. If you decide to get one Mellon plan on getting a big tank! They grow FAST! I will not own another one for that reson alone, I don't feel I could house one for its full life and would have no clue who could take it after I could nolonger house it. Mine was in a 65gal tank and it grew to 15 inches in under 6 months! I was buying 100 feeder goldfish every fri to feed it and my two oscars that shared the tank with it ( they were just as big as the redtail) and the redtail would make them hide in the corner when it was feeding lol
    P.S I lost the redtail in a power outage that lasted for three days, only fish out of a hundred that i had i lost.........

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    At the ripleys believe it or not aquarium in gatlinburg tennessee, the have some redtails that would go anywhere from 60-80lbs. These things are beautiful fish.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've only seen pictures of those fish, but they sure are neat looking. It would be awesome to pull one of those things out of the water!

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    One of the local pet stores here once had one. That fish was huge. I would say it was easily approx. 4ft long and very beautiful in coloring like ones in the pics. I dont know who purchased it but the guy who runs the store always has some kind of exotic fish or reptile on hand. I used to go in just to look at the snakes he kept.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hey mellon,I did a google search and some $$$lakes in Ohio stock these.I'm surprised you haven't already caught one. LMAO!!! :lol:

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey Bryan we should go in together and buy like 50 of them and grow them big and release them in that pond over by the Nutter Center. It would make a nice addition to that lake of many fish. God knows how many fish are in there and how rare they are

11. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Yeah them are some pretty cool looking fish i would like to get a few.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I keep them and they eat alot!!! Look at some of my tanks and critterz...
    Big Tank
    [​IMG]

red tailed cat
    [​IMG]

another
    [​IMG]

morris
    [​IMG]

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You had better plan on getting a tank of at the very least 240 Gallons for just one! I keep these fish and sell them before they get too big but, they grow really fast! and cost upward of 50.00/ mo. to feed just one!

14. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Those are beautiful fish, have never seen one up close.

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Buddah, that is an outstanding set up you got there. i have kept oscars and pacus but for some reason my set up never looks as good as I would like.

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cool pics bro, thanks for sharing.

17. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    these are pretty neat looking cat.

18. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats a darn pretty fish. we oughta have a south african gathering so we can fish for those beauties!

19. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    why go to africa. we can all just take our ultra lights to buddah house and fish his aquriam.

20. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    ur right. tell me when and lets do it!