Redtail Catfish of Brazil

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ace, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The only Brazilian species currently listed in IGFA is the red-tailed catfish. At 97lbs - 7oz the record is held by the famous Brazilian angler Gilberto Fernandes .

Ace:evil-big:

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Interesting Pictures

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    What would the top end size of the redtails be??They are an awesome looking catfish.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Wow.. Those are some very large fish. Nice find :D

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've seen redtails in person. Some of which were over 50lbs. If you ever want to see some just go to the Ripleys Believe It or Not Aquarium in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

As to the size potential of these beautiful fish, I've read that they can grow to over 200lbs but the bigger ones just can't be caught. I really don't know why, that's all the book said. They just can't be caught.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice pics and those are some cool looking cats. I wouldnt mind catchin some of those cuz they are so cool looking. How big do they get?

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bought my boy a fishing video from Babe for Xmas. They cought some huge red tails. He also caught a huge Lepard cat. They say they go over 400 lbs. The reds are supposed to be much bigger. Not many fish caught are recorded.

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Kspor, what was the name of the video??

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    [​IMG]

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Those are some really nice pictures of "Redtails"...however, if you notice that second picture, it isn't a South American redtail catfish (Phractocephalus hemioliopterus) it's another very awesome catfish from the other side of the world, the Asain Redtail catfish (Hemibagrus wyckioides) which reaches lengths on nearly 40". Not as massive as the SA redtail cats, but like heavy current, and as you can see by the forked tail, are said to fight like crazy! They can be found in SE Asain waters, particularly the Mekon basin with its close relatives the blue eyed cat, and the hell cat(nice name!). Now...here's a true monster from South America. The locals call in the "Dourada" (Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii). It attains lengths up to 7' and weights upward of 300lbs.! I've got a picture, but the format won't work here...message me if you like to see one of these monsters!!!

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Conrad, how BIG do the redtails in south america achieve?

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, that's hard to say. The largest "documented" was that 97 pounder...however there are reports up to 200lbs. Natives use rope to catch them, and still have break offs! Of course, the break off fish could be dourada cats...but who knows. I've personally seen fish up to 50" in aquariums...and have actually had a couple that I was raising before they outgrew 75 gal aquariums in a little more than a year....that's right, from 4" to over 4lbs in a years time!

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love those Redtails. I drove to the Cleveland Zoo's acquarium mainly to see one. (4 hour drive!) That's my "dream fish". A replica mount would be in order.