REDS

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by SC-SCOUT, Mar 30, 2008.

1. SC-SCOUT

SC-SCOUT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I HAVE FISHED THE LAST FEW YEARS AROUND THE REEFS AND WRECKS OFF THE COAST OF SC AND HAVE LANDED QUITE A FEW 3O PLUS INCHES SPOTTAIL BASS. THE LAW ALLOWS ONLY 15 TO 23 INCHERS, SO THEY ARE ALL RELEASED. WITH ALL THE "BIG MAMA'S" I'VE SEEN, I HAVE NEVER CAUGHT ANY LEGAL SPOTTAILS AT THE REEFS OR WRECKS. ANY COMMENTS?

2. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    In Louisiana an angler is allowed 5-redfish per day . Anglers are allowed only 1- OVER 27"(considered "Bull red") as a part of the total 5- . Min. size is 16".

Reds are a migratory species. In Louisiana no Redfish may be taken in Federal waters but are legal in State waters. So this species is sought by the inland marsh and beach fisherman.. Certain times of the year bull reds can be easily taken from beaches and passes to the Gulf. It's not uncommon for fish to reach 30-40lbs. Prized for their fighting and long runs most folks simply release the brood stock. Larger fish over about 40" flesh changes from a flaky consistancy to a tougher meat one where it is not as good eating.

Although we have countless structures most reds are taken inland -around runouts from ponds into bays and around grass/canes. The only thing we seem to catch around structures are sheepshead feeding on barnacles -hardheads-gafftops. Inland reds are smaller but do get up to 30" quite often.

It's a real challenge and rush when you hook one in 5" of water to stop it with the water exploding as it runs. I use 30# powerpro most often.
    Plastics under a cork or on a plain leadhead jigheads work great.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Florida allows slot fishing for reds. 1 fish per day between 18 and 27 inches. lots of times it is hard to catch one small enough to keep. And from a Kayak it is a real hoot !!!

5. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    We call that a "cajun sleighride"

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    When ever I get to go visit my mom in Fl. I go out every chance I get. I don't eat fish, so I go for the bull reds. I like using blue crab or hand picked shrimp along the edge of a channel. We get them off the jetties with buck-tails and pinfish. I got this guy on a live blue crab about 4 inches wide.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Kurt, welcome to the BOC!

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Red, Ken.