REDNECK SOULUTION 1.5 w solar charger

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by catfish kenny, Feb 24, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a small motor on my 15ft lowe jon,I like the fact that I have all kinds of bells and wistles on it-running lights,spotlight/fog light-trolling motor-fish finder-duel aux outlet(ciggerette lighter socket)but since I dont have that charging system Id have to bring it home drag the charger out and make sure she is ready for a night out.When I went to harbor freight they had these on sale and I figured Id give it a shot.I mounted it on my batterey box and from playin with it I think it is gonna work good.Ovcourse I have to wait till it gets warmer and realy test it.......but I thought I'd throw my redneck soulution at you all cause it seems like a good answear to my problem and it was only $20.00 or so on sale.....and someone else might want to think about it to?

Attached Files:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's pretty cool! Are you using it to get some charge in the battery while it's just sitting or to run your accessories?

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thats the plan and it seems like it is gonna work-wait till it warms up and I wil post a review.

4. luvcatfish

luvcatfish New Member

State:
    Ringgold GEORGIA
    i pull the old charger ever time i whant to go i dont have a charging system on my 40 horse jonson

5. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    :wink:let us know once you get to realy test it i have to do the same thing im hopin this works for ya and then for me

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It has great potential fellas-My brother got one to so we will have two of us trying this thing out.It seems like it is gonna be the ticket-and cheap soulution,I recycled a old fuse pannel out of a car to so I am wired up with fuses also-Its real tough not to have a cobbled up mess in a jon but I have most of it tucked in and out of the way.I can get prety crafty and I aint skeered to go fer the gold:wink:

7. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well Kenny think im a redneck too,i was walkin in harbor freight too about a year ago and had the same thought but my banker was with me and wouldnt let me buy one but now i think im gonna get one anyway,keep us posted on how it works...

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a good idea Kenny. I bought a fuse block from NAPA last year and re-wired my ole tub, it was time and money well spent. Keep us posted on how this works for ya cause i'm in the same shape as far as keepin hot batteries.

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looks like it should work,if we can ever get any sunshine. How much did you say you had to pay for it? I see they are selling them for $9.99 right now. Did you get yours at the Cedar Rapids store?

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just to put what to expect into perspective…

A 1.5 Watt charger will put maybe 13 watts or 1 amp hour per day into the battery if parked in full sunlight in the summer. This comes from 6 hours of fairly direct sunlight at full power, and another 8 hours at steeper angle that will average about 1/3 full power, or a half watt.

Amp draw of various devices:

Lights – about 1 amp
    Livewell – 1-2 amps
    Color Depthfinder - 2 amps+
    Engine Starting – Don’t know?
    Trolling motor – 10 amps +

So basically if you go out and just run lights, livewell, and depthfinder for 4 hours, it will take this charger over 20 days of good sunlight to return the battery to full charge.

I hate to sound negative on this, I just want everyone to know what a realistic expectation is.

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi folks'
    I gotta question, if you hooked your boat battery to your car charging system would it not charg it enroute to the lake?

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    If you do it properly I dont see why a vehicle wouldnt charge your battery.A isolator that switches alternator output to the battery of the lowest charge is the best idea since you dont want to charge a deep cycle + car battery at the same time.That would realy overwork your alternator.It might last a couple trips but soon enough it would die.

Also I thought of the Solar solution for some things.If you could find some of the panels like used on gas well meters and such in an auction they should do the trick.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glen,I will have to look I know it was 20.00 or less-We spent some change that day and I just rounded it off-I know it was more than 9.00 though.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If it dont work they way I want I will be out a twenty-Just in the garage though It seems like it is gonna work good and now knowing it will take that long I dont have to worry about unplugging it .....:wink:I dont use everything alot but I know its a hassle dragging that batterey charger around so....

15. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yep. Let us know I may have to do the same thing.

16. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Kenny,

I think it looks like a good idea. I use this charger. I just plug it in when I get home. It turns itself off when it is done.
    My batTrees are always ready for me. In fact, dernit..I'm READY to go fishin'!

[​IMG]