Redneck boat anchors!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Chief, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i been using 2 15lb weights from my weight bench for some time now. at first i tried them one on each end of the boat so i could park with my side to the hole and drop in a few more lines, but the current on my river seems pretty fast it just drug them around everywhere. so i doubled them up on the same rope. havnet had any trouble since, but was wondering if tri-fluted river anchors are really worth the money? and do i really need 30lbs? also share any of your redneck boat anchors!

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think it's a great idea, if it's been working! I know you can get lots of those weights for free when they have our bi-yearly spring clean up! Thanks for the idea!
    Old engine blocks are popular around here for mooring!

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if its workin out then keep at it
    i always thought the holding power was from its ability to get a good snag on something but maybe im wrong

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    when fishing in the white river for trout the guides used rail road steel (cant think of what its called but u know what im talkin bout) they would use pieces bout 2 foot long weld a chain to the bottom part. this way it would dig in at a angle seem to work pretty good in swift current with a lose gravel bottom

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    When I'm fishing areas that are prone to "eating" anchors, I bring my trusty cinder block anchor along. Those are around 40# dry and when you pull em up, they've gained about another 10#. But they're cheap so if it's gets hung up, you're only out some rope. Ironnically, I haven't lost my block yet but have lost several store bought ones over the years.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Usually it's not so much weight as grip that makes an anchor effective. I've been making mine out of a piece of steel tubing and rebar. Add a piece of chain and there you have it. There is a picture in the library. If you don't have access to a welder, use a piece of steel tubing about 18 inches long, drill a couple of holes in one end, and use threaded rods about 3/8'" thick with nuts holding them in place. I think the chain makes a good bit of difference so you could drill another hole through the pipe to place a bolt through the chain. Similar to what is in the library but doesn't require a welder or cutting torch. I s'pose they weigh 10 pounds or less.

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    30 lbs should me more than enough. Another idea to help your weights, take a old piece of chain about 18" to 2 foot and put it between your weights and the rope. Something about the chain seems to help.

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Since I seem to lose a couple of anchors every year, I tried to come up with something inexpensive. I bought an 80# bag of quickcrete and mixed & poured it into a pair of 3 gal. plastic buckets and stuck a large eye bolt in each one. Total cost for the 2 anchors was about $6.00.

9. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    3 gal bucket of quicrete...... Now you got me thinking. I work in a marble shop and they always pour any excess into 5 gal buckets. Them things must weigh 50 - 60 lbs. I'll have to see if I can find something to actually shape it into an anchor with better "bite" so I can do away with the weight factor. Throw in some old chain I have laying around and total cost will be FREE!!

10. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've used tire chains and trailer hitches in the past when I left the anchor at home.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is what we use for anchors around here, LOL!!!

12. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I've got acess to farm equipment....the tandem disks that farmer use to 'disk' their fields (lol...its sad when you don't know the real names of things). Well, there's a good chunk of metal between each of the idividual disks and every 10 or so its an axle. Axles wear out and they make fabulous anchors;). Suckers are easily 30lbs and about the size of a big coffe tin.

13. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the past I used to make small ones outta 3 liter soda jugs or a gallon bleach jug.Cut a little off the top of the jug,take about 3 foot of chain put it in far enough to reach the bottom, shove some rebar through the sides of the jug through the chain links inside and leave 6 inches or whatever you like sticking out on each side of the jug and fill with quickcrete.The rebar will bite in to the bottom and hold pretty good.They're cheap to make so if you lose it it's no big deal.

14. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    An old friend of mine made an anchor out of those discs, they worked great!!

Sadly, we lost the old guy a few years ago. Sad, he was a great fishing partner as well as friend.

I have no idea what ever happened to that anchor, but I always keep my eye out for a disc so I can try to reproduce one.

craigr

15. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    well, I didn't use the actual disk itself. I used the axle between the disks...BUT you can make alot of interesting stuff out of those disk...I've seen garden hoe blades made of them that I would think could last forever. Ask some of the larger opperation farmers if they've got a few laying around. If they do they'll probably have 50+:cool:

16. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    At a previous job I asked the building maintenance guys if they had anything to use for an anchor that they wanted to get rid of. They gave me a compressor pulley. It's about 10 inches in diameter and has ridges around the edge to hold belts on. Those ridges really dig into the bottom of the lake. I haven't seen anything better to use.

17. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

State:
    Henderson,KY
    I thought we used old car blocks, LOL!!!:blink:

18. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    duxsrus said it, i've lost store bought anchors but can't seem to lose the brake rotor and chain. catnip

19. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Some great info fellows!

Thanx, Jeffro

20. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    That's a great idea, and it probley saves you a lot money too.