Redhorse sucker

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by bigmaac73, Sep 11, 2007.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I am around fort walton beach and when I went to the Yellow River last weekend there was an old man who said that he was sucker fishing. First off I did not know that there were sucker down here. Even if I did, I have never caught them. How do you go about finding and catching redhorse sucker, or any other sucker that is down here. Anyone know any good spots?

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I don't know of any special spots there but I have found out if you put a couple of kernels of canned whole kernel yellow corn on about a #4 or #6 long shanked hook and fish it on the bottom something will eat it. Caught carp,suckers,trout,cats, bass and bream. Corn was the best bait for suckers and big chubs when I was a kid in Indiana.

3. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    yeah, I've heard corn and red worms, just don't know where to look

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    for suckers you need to prowl the shallow stoney riffles,with worms.

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    u usually fish for suckers in the spring. find a creek running into old yeller, then put cottonseed meal, or dog food in a sack and bait the hole. and go back tomorrow. have you tried mullet fishing down at milton yet? this is a blast.

6. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    tell ya the truth, I dont even know how to catch mullet with rod and reel if thats what you mean. That was some good stuff about the suckers though, I appreciate it. Been netting alot of smaller mullett in the runoff streams that go into the sound. they any good for the cats around here?

7. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    i was up on the appalachacola river a few weeks ago and my partner hooked into a big blue on mullet guts