Redfish - Got some Puppies!

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Apr 10, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, after almost 10 years of fishing in the brine, I finally had a trip that paid off. We had to get out of the boat and drag the boat through the mud to get back into a spot during low tide, but we got back there and we limited out on 6lb puppy drum, which in NC is one fish per person between 17" and 27". All but one fish was 26" long. We were pitching live finger mullet into trees and had a blast! Had to really "put it to em" to keep them from getting tangled up.

Attached Files:

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Sounds like you were well rewarded for your hard work. Never heard of that kind of fish. Hope they eat good.

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Those are some pretty nice fish there.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's some fine eatin'.

You guys any where near the south beaches, below Wilmington?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    puppy drum = red drum = redfish

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We're closer to Topsail. I'll often make trips over to the Ft. Macon/Atlantic Beach area, and you'll find me from time to time in Swansboro, and Emerald Isle. I've also got a buddy that I used to fish with some that I'd ride out to Bogue Sound with. I say ride, because we never caught much of anything...lol!

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Oh hell yeah! I'm heading to the Louisiana coast a week from Friday to go after some reds! GREAT catch guys! I know it was a blast! Congratulations!

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe if you want to have more fun than you can handle, try getting one on a fly rod.

This is my first one on a 9W using a yellow Clauser minnow fly. I was sight fishing them on the flats just off the space center.

Fishing off the front of my pontoon boat in about 18" of water.

Attached Files:

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Bob, you think I could talk Randall Duhon into taking me fly fishing in the marshes? I'm practically twisting his arm to get him to take my Dad and myself fishin in the marsh without targeting catfish! I might just have to make a road trip this summer. Fly fishin the marshes for redfish! Wanna come with us?

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Joe, I'd love to be there with you guys, but first you do what you have to, then you do what you want to.

Randall's smarter than you look:p Just tell him to try catchin the bluecats on a fly rod. He'll go for it. It's a challenge.

11. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    nice haul of reds. those are some fine dinner fare! (I personally like grilled scales-on.) If you think those are fun to catch, you should try the surf for the 50" Drum!