Redear sunfish

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by MaîtreDePoisson, Sep 21, 2007.

1. MaîtreDePoisson

MaîtreDePoisson New Member

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Are these things good to eat? Also, what about sunfish in general? I'm still sort of new to fishing, so I don't know a lot about this sort of stuff. So, yeah...

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya they are good eat.

3. warmouth

warmouth New Member

State:
    cincy Ohio
    redearr are great along with most panfish

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some of the best eating ,You'll sink a tooth into. I fished a small lake in eastern OK and kept only those over 10" and I may not keep more than 3-4 each evening ,but in three months i had 17 lbs of fillets for a fish fry.

5. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can start a good fight about this. I prefer bluegill over redears, but my knowledgeable friends will argue hard with me over this.

Everybody I know calls redears--'shellcrackers' both in Kentucky and Florida. Showing my butt-I didn't realize they was the same until I read this years Regs for KY fishing.

So start asking folks about 'shellcrackers'---Oh yea--They are fun to catch, put a good fight for size, and I think they seem to get bigger than bluegill.

Fred

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think they are yummy. Personally, I can't tell the difference between redear, and bluegill, but the redears do get bigger. Great fight too on an ultralight.

7. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Great eats. Just takes a few to make a meal but worth checking into. Best of all it is hard to fish out a lake of these critters.

8. big_fish

big_fish New Member

State:
    michigan
    very good to eat just like a bluegill

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
  10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've got a place down here we fish in late winter that we get some shellies in that go 13" and we'll catch a half dozen or more on a trip, fillet out easy and are quite tasty, very similar to bluegill or most any other sunfish. Yeah, tie into them with ultralight gear for sure!