Redear spawn?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by beakus, Mar 30, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    when do the redear starte to spawn?

2. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    Same time as most other sunfish

3. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    redear aka Shellcracker spawn after the first full moon in may and continue to spawn till the last full moon they are already moving into the shallows fanning out there beds getting ready to spawn they are starting to bite right now but will get better in the next few weeks and toward the end of the shellcracker spawn the brim start to spawn and all the shellcracker and brim are very common to catch them bigger than your hand.
    the shellcracker spawn from 68 - 77 water temp
    and the brim spawn from 70 to 77 water temp
    I usually catch them in 2 - 4 ft of water on grass flats or next to downed tress or on the mud flats. I'm no expert but just telling on what i have learned from fishing them over the years.

p.s. i use red wiggler worms for bait under a float ohh yeah i read up and found out that the first full moon is on may 2nd

4. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I went Tues. and caught a limit in about 3 hrs. All nice fish staging to move on the beds. The fish that I found were moving into shallow submerged islands under stands of Cypress trees. Caught several in shallow water with the larger ones caught on the outside edges of the trees in a little deeper water. All quality fish in the 1-1.5 lb. range. we released several large fish that i would not consider "panfish" some were large enough to filet. A friend in another boat caught and weighed one at 3.5 lbs...wow. The full moon should really turn them on. fish fry time...

5. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I went Tues. and caught a limit in about 3 hrs. All nice fish staging to move on the beds. The fish that I found were moving into shallow submerged islands under stands of Cypress trees. Caught several in shallow water with the larger ones caught on the outside edges of the trees in a little deeper water. All quality fish in the 1-1.5 lb. range. we released several large fish that i would not consider "panfish" some were large enough to filet. A friend in another boat caught and weighed one at 3.5 lbs...wow. The full moon should really turn them on. fish fry time...