Redbreast Sunfish

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by JAinSC, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am going to assume the section is open to all sunfish topics, not bluegills, so:

Most of what I catch in the rivers down this way (Edisto and Santee Rivers mostly) are redbreast sunfish. To me they are one of the prettiest fish there are. I don't really get off on frilly little Indian Ocean reef fishes. A really nicely colored redbreast blows them all away.

These are not the best, most colorful redbreast I have caught, but I did snap pictures of a couple on a recent trip. The first was a smallish male right off the bed - you can see his tail is a little out of shape. The other is a pretty female. Hope you like them.

EDIT - You know, looking at the second shot again, I think that may be another male that's just not in breeding colors and all. What do you all think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Kinda might have to agree with you on this one here.

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    do the flatheads care about the difference?? lol i may be in trouble cause i dont know how to tell males n females apart on those.. lol

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i get them around here on occassion and i do think the color attracts more fish, i especially love orange spots and greenies when they are spawning

5. festus

festus New Member

The female redbreast has a yellow belly, the male has an orange or red belly. The female redbreast is also one of the more colorful female sunfishes.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ever see a spawning longear? we called em cherry perch as kids. i can't remember seeing one big enough to fillet, but they make great bait as well as aquarium fish.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

That looks so ominously close to a redbreast/longear hybrid.:eek:oooh::wink:

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Longear definitely get big enough to fillet if they have an adequate amount of food and are allowed the time to do so. Stick some in a pond and watch'em grow. They can get up to 9"+ and weigh 1.7 lbs. They rarely do so in the wild.

9. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't know about catching any red-breasted sunfish but I've caught 2 pumpkinseed, one 6" the other 7 1/2". They are very pretty, and in my opinion even prettier than the red-breasted sunfish you caught! I caught the biggest one on corn and the smaller one on a worm. And they fight like heck! When I caught that 7 1/2 incher I thought I hooked into around a 3 lb. trout, no joke.

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Every time I catch bream for bait I admire all the variation in their coloration. They are a spectacular fish with a fascinating breeding behavior. Thanks for the pictures

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I catch redbreast in all the creeks around here. I sure hate to cut them up for bait, but I do anyhow.

BB in SC

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    those look delicious!

13. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    The longear Sunfish is WAAAAAAAY more colerful then the red breast.They are the best looking freshwater fish I have ever seen.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Red breast sunfish are aggressive and take lures.

15. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I catch those on occasion here in Iowa but they don't seem to get very big. They've been scarce this year though for some reason, I can only remember catching one and that was back in early June

Still there is something about those colors or red eyes that the flathead and larger channels really seem to like

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yip, those are some beautiful fish.