The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Do you use red wigglers for fishing. Yes, they are not big as night crawlers, but 2-4 worms on midsize hook work well in areas without a lot of bluegill. I started worm bin 3 months ago and happy to have baits for carping and catfishing anytime. Now I do not have shad in my shallow creek because of low water level, and wigglers are a good solution for me for zero price.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,102 Posts
I use them to catch bait but every once in awhile I catch a bullhead, channel cat or flathead on them with a # 4 or #6 aberdeen hook.
I don't use them for catfishing because I have better luck on cut bait in my area.
They definitely attract more bites than those canandian night crawlers that don't hardly move for me.
I've caught some nice fish with only a half of a red worm but like to put a handful of red worms on 3/0 to 5/0 circle hook.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue cat eaters and channels are predominant species in my lake area; therefore,.I usually use #1 J hooks for red wigglers. Short dropper loops (2-3") and high sensitivity of Kentucky rig help to avoid deep hook swallowing.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Likely the most iconic bait there is. Not an admirer of art but if Rockwell painted a boy fishing he would have had a tin can with wigglers hanging over the edge by his side. As a kid, dug worms were all we used putting Gills, Bull Head, Carp, Bass and the occasional Channel on the stringer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do some "bumpin" on the Tennessee River , red wigglers is key bait for eatin size channels and blues.
Also if you are short on time to get bait , just drive by Walmart or about any gas station on the way to the ramp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts