Red vs. Black hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Balex123, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Was curious what your guys thoughts were on red hooks in particular. I've used red in the past when I used to bass fish, but now for Catfishing I've always used black.

Is it mostly just personal preference? or could maybe the red help the presentation as if it were "bloody" or whatnot, or are fish colorblind?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I bought a bunch of red circle hooks this year, fished them alongside regular ones, and honestly....... I can not see anything that suggests that they are better.

But IMO...they do look cool, LOL.

-Jim-

PS...I feel the same about line color...Cats dont care.

3. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I was wondering the same thing. I always use the red. I always thought it might help with presentation but am not sure.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Unless you are fishing in less than a couple of feet of very clear water, I believe the color of the hook makes no difference whatsoever. In the depth and color of water most of us fish in the visibility is zero...W

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've used both bass fishing and catfishing and honestly can't see much difference. It's whats on the hook is whats important i think.

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    in catfishing i honestly don't think it matters what color the hook is.as far as crappie go,i seem to do a little better with the red hooks.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I dont think there is much difference in the hook color , unless the water was real clear , then it might matter if fishing for bass, trout , crappie .

8. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    The difference is that the color red becomes invisible in the water. :smile2:

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thats true of trasparent stuff such as mono fishing line.
    if its opaque like a hook the color red will then be seen by the fish.:wink:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I can say Red hooks sell great. Now it they out fish black hooks or any other hooks? Not sure. But black and Red hooks cost more.
    Again years ago I got a whipping for getting one leader on one of my Dads Trot lines in red paint. Now this was a new Trot line never been fished. That leader always caught more fish then the others. So we started dying all our trot lines red. These would out catch the others any day of the week.
    Now was it the color? Not sure.... I do know fresh #18 line for Trot lines were Snow white they did not catch fish good unit the new was washed off and the line turned dirty looking. But coloring them with Cherry cool-aid they caught fish the first day fished.
    Again not sure if color works our not. But that one Leader 40 years ago Sure changed the way we fished even back then.
    We even used Red Food coloring to dye our Cut bait. It would out catch the bait that did not receive the Food Coloring. I think it has something to do with flavor in the food coloring.

I would love to see a study of what the color of red looks like under water at different depths. As it may be that the color red turns into something that fish love after the color of red changes on it??
    Pete

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    RED has been proven to catch more FISHERMEN!!!

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    The red one blend in real well with you blood after you accidentally hook yourself.:angry:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

My feelings exactly!:wink:

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jimmy jonny I have done the same thing cant tell that one is better than the other

15. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I used to catch way more on red hooks...But now i dont catch them on any hooks:sad2::sad2::confused2:...but i was fishing for carp...last year i got way more on gamma nickle black or whatever it is called...but for next spring i have some team catfish hooks in red..so only time will tell for me!!lol