red tailed catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 21, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i seen theese things were are they native from, id like to get one of them, i guess they breed em in the us now, ouldent it be coll to have a lake stocked with them things

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah they would be fun to catch i bet.i wouldnt mind as long as it wouldnt bother our own native cats.

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Amazon and its tributaries

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    them things are coolo, i hear they got some ponds stocked in florda with them

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah it'd be cool to keep them stocked specifically in that lake. If that species got into a main river system, it'd be able to swallow 70% of the fish in that river! :p

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey i say throw em in all us watter , maby theyd kill more carp,pluss, i dont think they get bigger than flatheads

7. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    I have seen these at a pet shop a few times they are VERY aggressive I think they would decimate anything else in their area but I bet they would put up a fight.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    WOW, Those are some beautiful fish!!!:crazy:I hope that no one eats them..I just looked it up and it says that aint to good of eatin! So it would be really cool to catch one of those!

9. 93catfisherman

93catfisherman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That'd be pretty sweet to hook up with one of those:tounge_out:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :angry::angry::angry:your serious arent you:roll_eyes:

11. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    these fish are very aggressive and would destroy any fish in there enviroment that they could fit in there mouth, which is a lot, these fish are very fast growers and can grow to over 6feet easy, and are cannibalistic so they eat other redtail cats that can be over half there size. also there has been tales of these fish even attacking and eating children. so go right ahead and put these fish in are water ways and maybe they'll eat some of the stupid people who actually think that would be a good idea. These fish can be tank mates with some very bad fish like the snakehead and pirannah. so they would destroy anything in our waters. :wink:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey, how the hell was i suposed to know that, :angry:,i dont think theyd be a problem at all, i seen a page were the dnr considerd introducing them in the us, im all for it, im not going to candy coat my opinoin if others disagree

13. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok and why do u think that they have not done it. they have also considered red tail hybrid but that ain't gonna happen either cause they get just a tad smaller but are still just as aggressive and would still kill almost anything in our waters. and i don't want you to candy coat your opinion but just don't make your thought a action cause they can breed with other large species of cats. like the redtail/tigershovelnose hybrid. these fish are bad A$$ but they would kill everything else like the snakeheads did everywhere they where interduced and even places they where not cause they have a air bladder and can travel for short distances on land.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Please link me to that page.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont remeber were the dnr stated that, but hey,if they are invasive then no i wouldent want em in the waters but i raly dont think there more agresive than a flathead,i read up on em, i dont see how stocking lakes with em would be a problem, i think a flathead would kill a redtail, i seen em at cabellas them blues or redtails would not come near a flathead i thoght about getting a pool andputting a flat a blue and a readtail in there as pets

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im telling you that will weed out the carp,put em in i want to cacth one:wink:

17. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    better book a trip to South America.:wink: they are a tropical species so I don't think they'd do very well in any states north of Florida. We had a 2+ ft one at a pet store I worked at. His name was Hoover. one time we fed him almost 200 feeder goldfish. he was way cool and would suck fish from your hand.

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hungry fella I would say darn.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    all i know there cool

20. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    all cats are very adaptive water temp is something that is a major thing at first but if it dont kill the fish right off the bat then they will get over it. i had a 180gallon tanks and had my own south american red tail cat. you could hardly put anything in there with it unless it was bigger than he was. i also had a asain red tail cat smaller but still pretty cool.