Red Squirrel

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Katfish Kern, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was up seeing family in Middle Tennessee last week, and I saw some totally red squirrels. I only have seen greys and fox squirrels here in Florida. Whats the deal with the red ones?

2. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We have reds here too, greys live in town and south of the interstate. Our reds are 1/2 again as big as greys. Fox squirrels were protected here for years, they are twice as big as our reds.

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Idk if any of you guys have ever been to Council Bluffs Iowa, but there is Black squirrels and they are native to Council Bluffs Omaha dont have them niether does cresent which is like half a mile from Council bluffs!

4. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yeah our fox squirrels here are protected also. I cant wait till small game to drop some bushy tails. Has anyone ever ate one of the reds???

5. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    We eat reds all the time. Greys are usually more tender but reds have alot more meat. Cook/fry them low and slow just like all game should be done and you'll like'em.

6. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    I just looked at our new regs from the DNR. According to them reds are protected and we've been eating fox aquirrels? Reds are only found up around JoDavies county?? I cant tell'em apart I guess so its kill'em all let god sort'em out?

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If they are small don't make em fall . Reds are usually smaller than grays . And the reds we have here tho rare Have white er' bellys than fox's maybe thats not the case there tho. And reds are redder than a fox's rust color . But coloration can change I have shot Black Fox squirrels before .

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    What he said! Coloration changes with diet sometimes. The only reds we have here are ground squirrels. There are some Fox Squirrels but not many. I think they tend to stay in small areas. Other areas have none at all.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I havent seen any reds here. Fox and grey are plentiful here. I have also seen a few black fox squirrels here and 1 albino.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i tried to post this a minute ago, but the power went out...

here's pics of a red, a fox, and a grey squirrel. a lot of folks call a fox a red and i have heard several folks calling both grey and foxes cat squirrels. it just depends where you're at. where an actual red squirrel is protected, you don't want to get caught with one in the bag. hope this helps somebody with identification.

Attached Files:

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    All 3 look like lunch! Thanks!