Red spots and open sores on channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by DM1975, May 20, 2006.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have been fishing around Kansas this whole summer and noticed that most the channels I catch in Fort Riley have small red spots on their skin, others have spots of skin missing, mainly on their bellys, and a few of them have red spots throught the meat after skinning them. Does anyone know what this is and is it safe to eat them? Thank you.

ETA: Some also have sunk in eyes or are missing an eye. In fact alot of them from one small lake are missing an eye.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the Lymphoma type of cancer.The way that it comes up on me,is the way that you describe your Catfish.I am also having trouble with my right eye,and I think the cancer has gotten into it.Makes you wonder,does;t it.peewee-williams

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have seen that on channels around the ft Riley area for some time now. The biologist told me it is a fungus and are OK to eat , I don't eat then .

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    When you catch a fish like this as soon as you notice it. take photos of the fish and email them to your local game and inland, but the best bet would be to call them tell them what you have and see if they will come take a look at the fish.

Most departments will pick up the fish and take it and send a sample off for testing to a lab to find out for sure what it is. many many things can cause red spots on fish never over look it.

Also let them know you would like to know the results that come from there testing. it also would be a good idea to get them a sample of the water in the area your fishing. if you can get them one whole cup full so they can test it also. i hope this is to some help.

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've caught fish like that in waters that had leaches. And I've also caught fish with big gashes in them from where it looked like turtles or bigger fish might've grabbed ahold of them at one point in time. Hope this helps.

-Red

6. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    they might be mating:confused2:

7. dbowers

dbowers New Member

State:
    Mantua, NJ
    I have seen a few channles with the same marking and sores you are discribing and i am in New jersey..which could explain it:crazy:

8. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi Steve here in NORTH CAROLINA,,we have had that many many times mostly on bait fish like manhadden and it looks like something very small has been eating its flesh like a sore that a scab has just got knocked off. That is the way they look here every year. Some might be from scrapes they got from being reeled in,,,,oh here at the neuse river thay are telling us not to eat most of all the fish because the merucry levels are to high. although this doesn't stop me from fishing. thanks timbo.:big_smile:

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    man, if i catch a fish and it has some "questionable" state of existence....i throw it back and let the powers that be decide it's future.

Why take the chance?

I love to eat fish, but i do not love to eat death...lol

cyas
    rc

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Problem here is that 75% of the cats coming out of one lake I fish at are like that, and it is restocked every other month.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... Now the question becomes: Why is it restocked every month?

Could it be that they are keeping it overpopulated so that the fishing is good and the fish keep fighting over the "prime real estate"? Or is it that because of whatever is causing these spots the cats are dieing and need to be restocked that often?

Might want to talk to the people managing that lake.

12. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    It is restocked because it is fished out all the time. It is on a military post and it gets used alot. Most of the state lakes around my area get restocked monthly, such as Potowatomi, if not they would be so fished out no one would catch a fish.

13. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Noone is not going to know for sure what it is till they do as i posted in my earlyer post. fish like this should not be over looked.

14. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have already notified the local conservation office, they know nothing yet. I quit fishing where I had been catching the majority of these at and have not caught one lately out of where I am fishing now.

15. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Thank you for contacting them. your part as a fisherman has been done now it's upto them to do there part if they don't it's not your failt

16. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    The first thing I did was contact them. I had to throw a fish away after cleaning it and I hate to have to ever do that but when it is questionable I would rather error on the side of caution. I pay way more attention to every fish I catch now.

17. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Thats kool you inspect every fish you catch better now. that protects you and the sport. and can also help out many bodys of water if more people would do this type thing.

18. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Let us know as soon as you here something. It would be interesting to know the results...Abu65

19. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I will post it on here as soon as I find anything out. I might make a special trip to their office today just to see.

20. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    they might be leeches because I caught a bass with sores on it then I saw some black things on it.