red rock

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Oct 7, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    does anyone know when they are lowering the lake to work on the dam??

2. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They canceled it again for this year; second year in a row now. We fish out there all the time and have been looking forward to this for a long time but look like we will be waiting for another year. You fish out there much?

The Lake Red Rock drawdown and associated work scheduled to begin Sept. 15 is postponed as a result of 2008 flooding.

Due to 2008 flood recovery efforts, the Red Rock drawdown scheduled for the fall of 2008 is being postponed. Efforts by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District, will focus on analysis and repair of 2008 flood impacts.

The primary purpose of the drawdown is to replace the cables on the dam Tainter gates. During the flood of 2008, the existing cables performed well and will remain in service until other 2008 flood recovery work is accomplished.

3. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i have actually never fished the lake but i fish below the dam and in the des moines quite a bit...

4. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I would love to try to fish below the dam sometime but really have no idea where to start it just is so vast. any help is appreciated.

5. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    welll greg to get started you would just have to go and give it a try...its not as difficult as most ppl make it out to be. i would fish the south side cuz its easier than the north to fish i think...

6. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish those tailwaters quite a bit during the summer. I normally fish the north side, but have fished the south a couple of times. During the summmer I like to fish the shallow water or the swift current a little downstream past the fingers.

Thinking about heading up that way this saturday.. I need a couple more for my freezer.

7. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Funny; I never have any luck below the dam but can catch them all day on the lake. :confused2:

8. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never fished the lake before. I don't have a boat and wouldn't have a clue where to fish that lake.

The tailwaters always produces nice sized cats for me. Nothing huge, but it keeps my freezer full.