Red Rock is plumb full...

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought they were draining Red Rock for dam repairs. I made a trip down there to see the mud and take pictures of the river channel. Much to my surprise, the reservoir is flooded up by the mile long bridge. Anyone have any info on what happened to the plans to repair the dam?

Mike.

2. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Mike, we were at Redrock in late August and they posted information for the repair to start letdown after labor day. From the looks of the creeks and rivers North of Redrock it probably would not take long to return lake to it,s normal level. Here is an informationnumber for Corps of Engineers at Redrock. 641-828-7522.

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had heard the same thing Mike, that dam repairs were upcoming and that the lake was being brought down so much a day. I was there yesterday and within a weeks time, our good fishing thing turned to crap. Water was way higher, changing the conditions all together. One theory I've heard is that the powers that be want to keep the lake at it's current level for waterfowl & the waterfowl hunting season. How much truth there is in that I'm not certain. I would like to know for sure myself.

4. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
    Rock Island District
    Release Date: October 26, 2007
    Corporate Communications Office

LAKE RED ROCK DRAWDOWN POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT YEAR

The Lake Red Rock drawdown has been postponed until fall 2008. A 10-foot drawdown had been scheduled to begin in late October to replace cables on the Red Rock Dam Tainter gates. Storage of floodwater from recent rainfall events does not allow the lake to be lowered in time for work to begin before December.

Postponing the work until next fall should provide for more suitable working conditions for replacement of the Tainter-gate cables.

For more information, please contact Frank Monfeli, the project manager, at 309-794-5640 or by email at Frank.C.Monfeli@usace.army.mil . You may also contact Sherri Richardson Duey, at Lake Red Rock, at 641-828-7522 or by email at Sherri.Richardson-Duey@usace.army.mil .

--end--

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks!
    Now we know.