Red river

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Bobby, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    Hi new member looking for help. I live in Louisiana 20 miles from the Red river. I have 6 foster childern and looking for someone who can tell me were there are some good catfishing holes. these childern would love to catch fish but I dont have a clue were to go. The lock and dam #5 is the nearest place for us. I bought a 21 foot pontoon boat last year just to take my kids but I don't realy know much about fishing for cats or how to locate them.Any help would realy bring a smile to these childern's face and that what fostering is all about.

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC! There are several places to go both out of clarks and teague launches which side of the river are you on?

3. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    Im out of Mansfield that would be the shreveport side about 30 miles south of shreveport.

4. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    there are several places out of Bishops Point the launch is just north of the lock and dam. it is off Hwy 1. It launches into a nice oxbow and there is good fishing in there or just out in the river off the rock jetties.

5. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    from mansfield you might be closer to coushatta.. theres a ramp there right under the bridge and lots of good fishing all over that area.. there is a big sandbar north of the boat rampo that produces for me every time i go there, but the best fishing down that way is to go south about 9 miles to lock and dam number 4 and fish around the jetties down there.. if you want to fish around lock number 5 i would suggest going to bichops point boat launch , its on hiway 1 off of the lock and dam road.. from there you have access to miles and miles of good fishing.. i especially like going thru the lock and fishing off the sandbars and jetties down below the dam..

6. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC. Its a very good thing you taking those Foster kids fishing thay will remember you taking them fishing for the rest of their lives.

7. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    I usually launch at biship landing. I usually go threw lock #5 and set up just south of the lock oh about a 1/4 mile about were that first buoy is and caught a few fish but they were little (Fiddler). I have also been to lock #4 I thought about that sand bar in coushatta is that the one that is just north i think maybe it's in that first curve about were you go behind that old bar they called the waggon wheel? I hoped to go this week end but it looks like it is going to rain I might go sunday just to look.

8. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    Hey badbob46 I see you do
    auto upholstery I built a sun deck on the back of my pontoon boat and want to get someone to make me a cushion for it. Do you do that kind of stuff? I love this site I'v been looking for a site about catfishing and glad I found this one it looks like I found a place were I can talk to folks taht are form my area and thats important. cool two thumbs up to THe BOC.

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC!

I admire what you are doing for those kids. It takes a special person to do that.

There are a bunch of places to go out of Bishops within a mile or so. At the end of that jeddy as you come out of bishops into the main river on your left we have cought some nice fish there. If you have a fish finder on your boat look for humps and other irregular places on the bottom. Coming up soon you should be in shallower water as the water temp warms up. Any little cut in the bank is also good. Try it for about 30 minutes and if you are not getting bites move.

Good luck!

10. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    HEY CATSMITH1 I JUST LOOKED AT YOUR PROFILE AND THATS THE SIZE CATS WE'RE LOOKING FOR THESE CHILDREN WILL NOT EAT FISH WITH BONES THEY RANGE FROM 3 TO 15 YOA SO I HAVE TO FILET MY FISH YOU KNOW THERES NOTHING LIKE SEE A CHILD SMILE WHEN THEY CATCH A FISH THE EXCITEMENT IN THERE EYES IS ALL IT TAKES TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THEM. MAYBE I'L SEE YA ON THE RED ONE DAY YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME POINTERS.

11. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Welcome to the BOC. We have a lot of fun on here and also out on the river. When we get together, it's usually the whole family. Most of the younger families have children that fish with them. Look around at the various topics and brouse the threads. Under the general tournament thread, there's a discussion of our next tournament. We call ourselves the Red River Rednecks and our name for the tournament is the R4 (Red River Redneck Roundup). Also check under the Member Gatherings for a couple of threads there. If it's R4 anything, thats us. Feel free to join us. It's family friendly and a great group of people!

12. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby, great ta have a new member in the area...Fishin outta Bishop's point has been good to me, and I'm sure good ta everyone else...Great thing your doing with the chillun's.... As with everyone else...Try fishin around the jettie's, wing dams, whatever ya wanna call um', best on the eddie side although I've caught um' on the up side also... Also head towards the lock and anchor about 30 feet from the bank Anywhere along that straight area is good ,...the fish turn on when they open and close the lock there (current changes) use shad fer bait whole or cut....If you have a depth finder, fish the ledges of the river channel fan casting with the current some deep some shallow This usually will give you an idea as to what depth and where they are holeing up I always chum with shad cut up so small they can't get a bite but they will follow the scent up to the boat....I always have two rods straight over the side well I hope I've helped a little maybe see ya on the river.....Once again Welcom to the BOC.............

13. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    we certainly do that kind of work, we can do it either of 2 ways, the best way is for you to bring the boat to us and let us make it and install it on the boat, that way we can put snap straps on to keep it from blowing out.. the other way is, if it is square or rectangular then you can give us finished measurements and how thick you want it and of course what color you want, and we can make something from that.. the only thing is that leaves you having to install snaps or whatever other attachments you want on the boat.. theres no way i could give you a price on it from here tho.. call us at shreve trim we are in the phone book, someone will gladly help you.

14. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    the sandbar i was referring to in coushatta is about a mile or 2 north of the boat ramp ,you cant miss it because its right in the middle of the river and actually causes the river to split and go around it.. we always anchor on the north end of it and throw back towards the bar..i dont know why that works but it does.. one more secret that really works well in that part of the river is to look for the bouys, and pass real close to them looking at your sonar.. some of them will have a hump rising up around the bouys anchor.. thats where i have caught some of my biggest fish in that part of the river..i anchor up above the bouy and throw right up against it, letting my bait drop right on top of the hump..if they are there it will take less than a minute to get a real hard bite.. if you dont find anything on one bouy just move to another til ya do..

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Hey Bobby, Me and Ersel got that one running Jugs. I would love to meet ya down there one day and show you what I do. That don't mean it's right but it is what I do.

Tell us more about your toon. Been having the fever for one myself.

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Talking bout filleting fish. We fillet everything we bring home. No matter the size. Electric fillet knife works wonders.

17. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    baddog46 sounds like some good advise i will try that bouy thing and see if thats works/ thanks

18. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    catsmith1 i went fishing friday at bishop landing we went threw the lock and set up just south of it theres a hole about 70 foot deep fished all around it we only cought 5 fish all day. we got there at around 7am and left around 2pm. so we desided to go back at around 7pm and stayed till 11pm this time we just fished just out of the biship landing point in the river chanel we fished the first two jettys north of biship between biship and clarks we only cought 5 small one. before the wind pick up and started white caping really bad. as far as pontoon boats go when up have as many kids as i have it's wonderful plenty of room very stable. mine toon is a 21footer the only issuse i have is it is hard to get it to anchor but thats because i try and anchor it broad side so that we can all fish it form the side now i dont have that problem if i anchor from the front only. thats if the water has a lot of curent now.

19. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    hey catgetter1 i thought about that chumming thing but figured that the curent was so fast that i wound be wasting my time and bait. do's it work in the current. I also use a what i think they call a carilina rig set up I used to use those wire leaders that you buy has a place for two hooks and a wieght but the kids wound snag them and break them so much it stared get in my back pocket. what size wieght should i use when fishing in that curent south of the dam.

20. Bobby

Bobby New Member

State:
    Mansfield, La
    hey catgetter1 do you threw the cum out or do ya put it in something if so what and sink it????