Red River Trip

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by phishnutz, Aug 13, 2008.

1. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Got home Sun night from a trip to the Red River. The fishing was simply out of this world good. I caught a new PB of 23 1/2 pounds followed up by a 19 lber and NUMEROUS fish in the 10 to 18 lb range.

My fishing partner caught a 22 1/2, 21, 20 1/2, and a 19 IN ONE DAY! Along with NUMEROUS others in the 10 to 18 range.

There were three other boats in our party. Some of the other bigs were a 28, 26, 24 and a 22.

Never seen nothing like it.

If I can figure out how to scan and post a pic, I'll put a couple up.

2. Cat_man_CF

Cat_man_CF New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow that sounds like a great trip, I've watched some shows on the red and watched them hammering them in disbelief. Hopefully you can post some pics! What part were you fishing?

3. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We stayed in Drayton North Dakota

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Cool!!!
    I'd like to get into some like that some day.
    So did you have a guide, know someone from the area or just pull up and launch your boats and fish?
    have a good one
    just

5. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob,

If you'd like to get into some channel cat fishing like that, there's only one way that I know of. Get in your car and drive the 625 miles to Drayton or above. The farther North you go, the bigger they get. You'll love it!

Catching a 20 lber around here is like winning the lottery. It's hard enough to catch a 15. Many a guy can fish their whole life and never do it. Up there it's pretty routine.

This is my 2nd year up there, and my father-in-law has made 12 or 15 trips. We don't use a guide and never have. If you fish out of a boat and just keep moving and probing with quality bait I can almost guarantee you'll catch fish. We caught them in 33 feet of water, 15, 10, and 6 feet. You can literally pick almost any place in the river and have a shot of catching a hog.

We used leopard frogs, cut mooneye, suckers and cut suckers, and bugeye shrimp. They all work well. The cut mooneye was the hottest bait in my boat.

There is a campground in Drayton we stayed at for 10 bucks a night.

6. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Trying to attach a couple pics. Hope it works.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  7. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow!!
    I would love to make that trip. It really isn't that far either. Congrats on the fish.

8. Cat_man_CF

Cat_man_CF New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Did you happen to catch catfishing america on saturday? The were on the red in Drayton below the dam.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great fishing trip. Thanks for sharing and good luck in the future.