red river southwest arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishstick, Dec 28, 2008.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well i finally got christmas and crappie fishing behind me and made a trip to the river today. found some shad and small buffalo along a ledge where the water drops from 14 down to 22 ft. i'm not much on anchor fishing so i made a slooow drift through a 30 ft hole with slow current. i got some pecks at the upper end of the hole in 11 ft water and never got a bite through the 30 ft water but at the lower end in 21 ft water i got a pretty good bite. i trolled back upriver and dropped my anchor and fished where i got the good bite. after 10 minutes i got a good one on and got a 10 lber in the boat. hmmmm, looking promising. after another 10 to 15 minute wait i got a good pull on my other rod. i grabbed it and had a good solid fish on. he made a run and slipped my drag real good but on his second run he pulled off. dang! i think i probably had my drag set a little too tight but thats the breaks. i'm going back tomorrow morning and try again.

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    went back to the river yesterday (monday) and caught 10 small blues 2 to 5 lbs. catching plenty of shad along a ledge in backwater. went today and caught 10 blues and an 8 lb flattie. supposed to be a coldfront come in tonight so tomorrow i'll hang around the house i guess. the wife and i are going saturday so that she can catch her a few eaters. she is mad at me for throwing all these small ones back. said she was going to have to show me how to clean fish. (i don't think so) :smile2:

3. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    sounds like you had a good day anyhow. nothing wrong with a few eaters :smile2: