Red River-------Southwest Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishstick, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'm gonna start a new post here for the river that i fish mostly. i'm trying to recruit some of my fishing friends here that fish the red to join the BOC. i like the way different groups keep in contact with each other about their particular fishing area and pass on info. anyone fishing the red in southwest ar. from the la. line to the ok. line please pass on your fishing info and experiences. we'll try to keep this post going and interesting. anyone is invited to join in and share with us. the BOC is a really nice forum and i have met some great people on here. thanks ya'll for all the help.

2. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Billy you do know now that i got you to come here i get to come down your way to bug you sometime for a fish floating trip

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    robert, i,ve got a stretch of the red that i've been wanting to fish that's 33 mi between boatramps. too far to fish in a day and this fall i'm gonna make an over nite camping trip out of it. sure wish u could come.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I would like for someone to show me how to drift fish from start to finish and all the little tips that may be needed.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Never fished the Red even when I lived near her. Didn't have a big enough boat back then.

Sure would have liked to though she looked mighty inviting.

6. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    billy , that sounds like it would be a great time . let me know

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Tall you know we won't let you go unless you promise to take plenty of pics.

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    verlon i'd love to teach you how to drift or bottom bounce as some call it. its the most exciting form of fishing that i have ever done. i gave up chasing crappie for it. i have fished the red river here since i was a teenager and never had much luck but i knew that there were alot of good fish in this river. last fall i was looking at fishing the mississippi river with a friend and i suggested that we hire a guide and learn what it took to catch these blues in a free flowing river. thats how i learned to drift and it works beautifully. if the current is strong enough and a fairly clean bottom. since last sept i have caught a 35, 25, 20, 20, 18, 15, 14, 14, and several 12 and under. ive never caught fish like this before on rod and reel and i love it.

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    glad u made it mike. click on post reply and get with the program

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    mike it took me a couple of weeks to figure this forum out so dont be intimidated by it. these are some great people on here. welcome to the BOC

11. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Fishstick1,

My Dad and I fish the Red anywhere from Fulton to down below Shreveport. Its been slow getting started this year but I think that they are ready to go now. Dad and I made a trip one day last week and caught a good bunch of fish but nothing with any tonnage to it. He went back later in the week and caught an 18 lb. blue. I've gota work the next 7 nights then one day then two more nights then I am off for a week, so I can't give you any reports before then, but after that I will be after them at least two or three days out of that week. If the Mississippi keeps falling we might try to make a trip over to Greenville too. I love fishing the Mississippi too. Dad and I have caught our pb's on the Red but I think the potential for a really big fish is there in the Mississippi. Dad has caught several in the 60's and just bunches in the 40's and 50's but he has yet to beat my personal best of 65lbs. He has caught two that weighed 62 1/2 but can't break that 65 lb. mark. I know he will though. Glad you started this thread. Hope that it catches on like the one in Louisiana. People there just get on to talk and keep up with each other. I post there some and they are really good people. "Red River Rednecks" they call themselves. You won't find a better bunch of people anywhere.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Fishstick, Glad to see you have an avatar!! Red, welcome to the B.O.C. Gald to see Arkansas members join!!!

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    the weather man said mid 90s for fiiday so i'm gonna hit the river. 106 last friday. thats too hot. i've fished garland city last two trips and caught lots of fish there but biggest of five pounds.
    i'm gonna go to doddridge friday and fish one spot downriver and a couple of spots up the river. the shad have finally grown to a decent size. i like to cut them in half and use the heads. hope to find some good fish this trip.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Billy! :0a25:

15. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    this drift fishing sounds like something i would like to do billy . never done it befor . I got on google earth and looked at the red river and got dizzy, boy its got some curves and bends

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    maybe we can get on the red together this fall robert. just as i was expecting , that hazwopper class is on the 21st so i'll be there early friday morning.

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well, one more day of work then 3 days of fishing. not really, probably just friday. my friend mike (Old man River) is a bonafide river rat. he told me today about a spot that i have not fished yet. it is probably 12 miles up the river here and the farthest i've fished is around 10 miles up. so i'll throw some xtra gas in the boat and leave the ramp at daylight. probably take me 40 or 50 minutes to get up there. good thing is i can drift all the holes on my way back.weather man says 89 with 50% chance of rain friday. my kind of day :big_smile:

18. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    sounds good billy . im going to try to get down there thursday evening or very early friday and try to round us up some bait . I'll have coffie ready when yall get here

19. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Good luck to yaul and keep us posted with some good reports and pics.

don3778

20. Old man Red

Old man Red New Member

State:
    texas
    DON WE USED TO FISH THE RED AT FULTON ALL THE TIME PUTTING IN AT ALLEN'S FERRY AND CAMPING OVER THE WEEKEND BUT THE THIEVING GOT TO BE PRETTY BAD SO I HAVENT BEEN THERE THIS YEAR . DO YOU KNOW IF THIS IS STILL A PROBLEM THANKS MIKE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.