Red River-------Southwest Arkansas 2

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by TOPS, Mar 3, 2009.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Site maintenance, thread clean-up

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    top i guess the other thread will disappear now huh? and we are starting over on this one

3. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Billy im wanting to here some more fish catching stories on this new thread.

4. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Billy we had a eatin meetin down here in Bossier City the other night you should have come down. Don came down and ate with us and we had a good time.

5. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    We got alot of work to do to catch up to the info in the last threaD. I :cool2:Volunteer for field research:wink::smile2:

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    dewayne, i'm still wanting to get down that way and do some fishing. maybe this spring i can sneak off some weekend and catch me a loiusiana blue.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    chris as i was saying in the other thread your reputation can be found under your user cp.look up at the header bar on this page and you'll see HOME, STORE, SEARCH, etc. click on user cp and scroll down to find out what people are saying about you and your posts.

8. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Billy thanks for the tip. I'm finding my way around a bit at a time. I'm gonna have my secratary clear my schedule for saturday morning:wink: The weather looks like it will be good although windy that afternoon. How about you do think you'll make it out.

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    chris i'm gonna be a little late getting to the river saturday morning because i'm having a new alternator put on my truck at 9 am so it'll be around noon before i can make it. i got my new graph in so i'll have the one ready for you saturday.

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    under BOC sponsers team catfish thread there is a video of some guys that get their boat hung up on a sandbar in red river :roll_eyes: and spend 3 hours or so trying to get it into water deep enough to float. :embarassed: thats why alot of people dont fish red river :tounge_out: but thats just less compitition for me. :wink:

11. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Yea billy I don't worry much about sandbars. WE just take our time and watch the river. I agree they cut down on the competition. I like to talk to people running the river because they are either old hands at it or on a steep learning curve like me:roll_eyes:

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well i just had the pleasure of meeting chris for the first time and what a pleasant and well mannered young man he was. cant wait to get on the river for a fishing trip with him. he's a dandy addition to the BOC.

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i got to the doddridge boat ramp a little before daylight this morning and threw my cast net twice on the ramp and caught plenty of 5 to 8 inch shad for my fishing trip. i was waiting for chris and his father-in-law to arrive so i ran upriver for a quick drift across the mouth of sulpher river. while i was making my drift i saw chris's truck backing down the ramp. i ended my drift just before the ramp with no bites. chris didn't have his f-i-l with him but he did bring his mom shirley (nice lady). we all got organized and headed upriver for some fishing. i put chris on a spot where i have had some pretty good luck before at the upper edge of a 25 ft hole with instructions to drift down river 150 yds if they weren't biting on that spot. he anchored and started fishing while i went upriver 1/2 mile to drift fish back to where he was anchored. i caught 5 nice blues on my drift and missed at least that many more. i went back up and drifted the same spot again with 1 more blue and 1 flathead. chris and his mom weren't getting any bites so they drifted down to a place where they were upstream of a little hump and reanchored. i headed upriver to my honeyhole. i caught 5 more blues there and the wind was really kicking by now. i headed for home and was beaten to a pulp by the white capping river and my flatbottom boat. when we all got to the ramp we had a total of 22 fish which was 2 over the limit for 2 people so chris threw 2 smaller fish back. we had a great day of fishing. and chris and his mom got a good mess of fish. all the fish were between 2 and 8 lbs.

14. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Well we met Billy at the ramp this morning. Billy put us on a good spot way up river It was great to quit fishing and start catching. I brought Tiff's NEW zebco hawgseeker that thing was so awful it was hilarious. it works about every other turn and has parts falling out of it. We fished the firsthole for awhile and then drifted down to the little point billy showed us. Now that was a good spot The river started white capping around 10:30 so we decided that was enough and started heading back got into some shallow water twice on the way in and had to do some manual labor it wasn't too bad though In all caught 22 cats combined A great day of fishing :smile2: the zebco is going back to wally forever:crazy:

15. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    glad u enjoyed the fish catching trip chris. it'll just keep getting better as the water warms and u learn some good spots to set up on.the last spot that i fished way up river could have produced more fish but with the wind i just blew through the spot and speed fished it. when you and i get a chance to go together i'll take you up to the spot and maybe get you hooked up with a goodun.

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    glad you enjoyed the fish catching trip chris. it'll just keep getting better as the water warms and you learn some good spots to set up on.the last spot that i fished way up river could have produced more fish but with the wind i just blew through the spot and speed fished it. when you and i get a chance to go together i'll take you up to the spot and maybe get you hooked up with a goodun.

17. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Billy that sounds great I need a reason to spool up some 50 lbs powerpro:cool2:

18. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    chris when you get ready to buy some braided line i have a couple of recommendations i'd like to make to save you some money. first, power pro is good line but expensive. spider wire is just as good but less expensive. the 300 yd spools are the best buy. if you are going to put it on a high capacity spool i'd say to put enough monofilament backing to allow for 100 yds of braid. no need to put on a full spool of braid because when you break off a few times and your spool gets low enough to add line you'll still have some good braid on your reel that you're not even using. let's say that your spool will hold 300 yds of line. if you put 200 yds of mono on there and 100yds of braid then you can respool 3 times with the 300 yd spool of braid. 100 yds is plenty of line and not have to worry about getting into the backing. anyway thats how i rig my reels. anything to save a buck. spiderwire ez braid 300 yd spool at bass pro is 18.99 power pro is 27.99. also when you fill a casting reel with line always fill the spool to within 1/8 in from the top of the spool rim. i usually even put it to within 1/16 on mine since i'm not casting them. this allows the drag to perform at its best.

19. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    BillyThats some great information on braided line I am going to got into that pretty soon. Right now I am spooled up with 25lb trilene big game and I was wondering about those 3way swivels you are using. what kind are they and where do I find them at? Thanks Chris

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    chris, i like to use spro brand when i can but i have some others that i ordered online that i have never had any problems with. i use a #2 swivel which is rated at 70# breaking strength. now a #2 not a 2/0. i've never broken a swivel with a fish or when snagged so they're plenty big. looks like alot of rain for the rest of the week which will put a big rise on the river. maybe sunday we can get together and i'll show u a good spot to fish when the river is on a big rise.