Red River - Snagging in Cenla

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Reek, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Has anyone been snagging at Lock and Dam #2 recently and did you do any good? I haven't been in several months and have the itch but I'm being told that I would be wasting my time this time of year....

Kelley

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the b.o.c.

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC and I'm not sure where that is, but I just tried snagging just northeast of Marksville at the....boggs? lock and dam. Yes the river was high and moving but you'll probably be wasting your time. I only fished for about 30 minutes and got nothing. The fish really stack up at the dam only during the spring, sadly.

4. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the info StuBone. If you see anybody get something snagging please let me know I been itching to pull some cats out, but I guess you are right we gotta wait to spring.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Reek have you ever gone snagging at Three Rivers WMA? Where the Red meets the Mississippi, just northeast of Simmesport. It's supposed to be insane during the spring before the Mississippi gets too high. Also, ever snag any asian carp?

6. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sure have, I've snagged at the hydroelectric dam (third damn i believe). Altho I've never done well there but hear the stories. Yah I have snagged asian carp, those pull like a fish 3 times their size.

I don't go to 3rivers too often, as its a looong drive and L&D #2 is a lot closer.

7. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Reek,
    Welcome to the BOC.

8. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Its getting close to that time... anyone have a report for Redriver snagging at the locks etc? How about insight into what the big snows up north are going to do to our river temp and its effect on our catfish spawning once they melt????

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    No snagging reports, not sure what water level three river's is totally accessable at, but river temps for the mississippi are here, as reported from Baton Rouge. I'm not gonna go waste my time there too much till the river hits about 55-60 degrees, as thats the temp that the paddlefish start spawning, the gauge is in Celsius, so when it hits around 11.5-13. I would assume the Red River would be about the same if not a little warmer.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?07374000

10. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Went to the lock and dam #2 this passed weekend to check the river level and i threw for about 45 mins and when i got hung up i went on to the house. Still a tad early i believe.

11. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I went to lock and dam # 4 last Friday, with the intention of snagging, but decided to try a spoon for a while first. I had something hit my spoon after just a few casts, but I didn't get a good hook set. So I threw a few more times, working my spoon right on the bottom, I could feel it occasionally tapping the rocks. I thought I hung up at first, but then I felt my rod jerk, hard. The second jerk was so hard that I thought my line might break, and immediately I loosened my drag. Line stripped off my reel, and the fight was on! The fish kept diving down toward the rocks, like a catfish, but was stripping line off my reel like a paddle fish. After about ten minutes, I saw a huge splash, but couldn't see what it was yet. The next time he splashed, I got a good look at it's tail. It was a big catfish! It took another ten minutes before I was actually able to land it. A sixty five pound blue! I never did get to do any snagging that day, so I don't know if the paddle fish have moved in yet. I can't wait to get out there again. 65 pound blue 027&#4.jpg

12. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Any snagging reports??? Saw some spoonbill action on saturday but no cats. Anyone catching / have a report?

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I may be out at L&D #4 this weekend. I'll give a report, hope the fish are running.

14. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Went to L&D #2 last night, and pulled 1 spoonbill out. Still too early i guess... what luck you have StuBone?

15. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went to Lock/Dam #4 yesterday, caught a 55-60 pound paddlefish after about 20 minutes of snagging! Definitely gave some huge runs, I thought I might lose it. Fought it for about five to ten minutes...seemed like forever. They weren't as thick as I had expected. Also hooked into another, but lost it a minute into the fight. I'll post pics when I get them.

16. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Looking at the water temp charts on the Mississippi... looks like it just hit 60F. Might be able to hook one this weekend... I'll let ya know =)

17. Reek

Reek New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Went to L&D #2 yesterday, got there and one guy was snagging, he said he hadn't caught anything. I snagged for about 2 hours and caught 1 blue cat about 1 pound. There were some people down river tightlining and catching Goo.

Looks like its still early.....

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Have you ever noticed anything with fish being more active in the middle of the day compared to at night? Also I got hooked into the fish at the same area, like they were resting in a big eddy. There is a retaining wall that runs parallel with the flow where the water is pouring out, and it makes a backdraft where the concrete ends underwater. This seemed to be the area where I would hit the most fish (carp scales, etc.) but it was also the most risky of hanging into rocks.

19. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Here's the biggun i caught at lock/dam #4. The pictures don't do any justice as you can't see the girth on this thing. Had a few bystanders that took turns taking pictures with it, too, haha.

Attached Files:

20. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Stu,
    Thanks for the pic! How do spoonbill taste?