Red River Report or (RRR)

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Tiger 22.2, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Tiger 22.2

Tiger 22.2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Been away from the board for awhile due to work and honey do's.
    Did some rod and reel fishing on the Red River out of Garland AR.
    Had trouble catching shad and ended up using cut perch most of the day.
    Took my dad and 10yr old nephew along. Nephew was content to be dropped off on a sandbar to chase turtles while dad and I fished. 10yr olds don't have much patience to sit around and watch poles do they?! Any way, first fish of the day was a 1lb flathead my dad caught on cut perch.
    We ended up catching 18 all together ( blues, channels, the 1 flathead) so didn't have to bad of a day. Biggest was only 7 lbs. We tried fishing scour holes beside wing dams, holes up to 26ft deep in the main river, and the mouth of an old oxbow lake. Still trying to find some good fish. Marked alot of fish on the fish finder but was not able to make them bite. Have 2 more trips to post about but will make a seperate post for them.
    Tiger

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Thanks for the reports. Do you guys have skip Jack in that river, if so you need to get some.

3. Tiger 22.2

Tiger 22.2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Top,
    I'm sure that there is some skip jack in the river but we have a really hard time catching them here. We usually use Gizzard Shad-cut Buffalo-and live Bream. If I can figure out how to catch some skip jacks I will most certainly give them a try!
    Thanks,
    Tiger

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Tiger,
    I didn't look to see exactly where Garland is but I suspect your talking about the Red River and not the little Red River.

As for skippies, look for them is fast currnet. Currest around the ends of wing dams is sometimes good. Same with bridge pilings and almost anywhere you find fast currnet.