Red River near GF

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Kwakwacker, May 24, 2007.

1. Kwakwacker

Kwakwacker New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Just wondering if anyone has been fishing the red aound GF? I'm planning a trip up there in a couple of weeks, any tips where to go? are the ramps open, I haven't seen anybody write about fishing up that way from boat. Could use any tips about bait , where to put-in at, any hot stretch of river, etc.
    thanks

2. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    I fished the stretch North of Forks over Memorial Weekend on Friday and Sunday.

Fishing was very, very poor. I attribute that more to the changing weather conditions late last week more than anything. Air temps dropped 30-40 degrees in a day and stayed down, it rained all day Friday and Saturday causing the water temps to drop nearly 5 degrees (62 deg to 57.5), cold front just went through and the barometer was rising. Yuck!

Caught 4 channels between 2 days fishing with the piggie only at 10lbs. :(

Ramps are in very good shape and open!

Bait? We didn't catch enough cats to establish a preference. Its typically a toss up between cut sucker and cut goldeye.

Water is a little high though and I think that is affecting the locations of active cats.

Up until my trip, guys had been doing very well for a couple weeks. I definitely heard of plenty of 15-20lb fish being caught.

Not sure what else to say, we had tough fishing, and I'm no amateur by any stretch of the imagination.

3. Kwakwacker

Kwakwacker New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the info, after looking at weather forecasts I think I'm staying home next week and coming up that way the following week. Our weather in SD has been terrible also, the rain is great as we've been in a dry spell for about 4 years. Our ponds and lakes are filling back up.