Red River - Manitoba (city of Winnipeg)

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by crappieguy, Jun 26, 2007.

1. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Sunday, my wife and I decided to fish off the bank of the river because of high fast waters...caught and released sveral 5-6 lb cats for about 4 hours.
    At about 9:00 Pm I suggested we pack up and head on home. She wanted one more cast. Got a real strong hit as soon as the rig settled to the bottom.
    She fought the fish for about 10 - 15 minutes..as she got it close to shore I went down with the pliars to release it ..low and behold a 10LB sturgeon right here in the city 2 blocks from home.I'm a new member and finding a lot of the info columns very interesting..will definitely be trying some new ideas as well as drying chicken livers,,,never knew how to do that Thx again guys

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Hey Reg, welcome to the BOC!

Sounds like you and your wife had a good outing.

Keep soaking in that info, there is tons of it to be found on this site.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That is very nice, and welcome to the BOC!

4. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Going fishing all this long weekend for cats and carp...will take my digital camera with me and keep you all posted...big or small!

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Reg - Welcome to the B.O.C!:0a25:The Red River! Man that is prime Cattin' where your at!

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome Reg,
    Been thinking of hitting the Red around the Drayton ND area. I guess they have a tourney on the 21st of July, though I have been trying to call the Red River Resort to find info on it and getting no answer. Do ya think the town is flooded, is everybody out sand baggin?

7. MBcatmaster

MBcatmaster New Member

State:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Good to see another Manitoban on here. Welcome!
    I've always wanted to catch a sturgeon.

8. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    I don't know...they're saying that some acres of farmland are going to experience a degree of flooding south of Winnipeg, but we haven't reached crest yet, on top of that we're supposed to experience heavy rainfalls this weekend.So right now it's anyones guess. It's too bad that my daughter and her boyfriend cancelled their trip this weekend to Grand Forks, they could have probably given me better info.If I hear anything I'll let you know.My house is about 200ft from the Red and the water looks higher than after some spring breakups.
    Sunday or Monday my wife and I are going to hit the Red up by Netley Creek. There's a shallow clam bed somewhere there tahat guys are pulling 35lbers out.
    My friend is a guide at Lockport. He's been having his guests pull up some pretty big stuff this year.
    Regards
    Reg

9. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    That's only the 2nd time we've caught a sturgeon...I caught one about 12 years ago on the North Sak River by North Battleford. It was about 8 lbs, but we regularly saw huge ones in the 45 Lb+ range.
    We had some real good luck 2 weeks ago by the old train tressel north of Kildonan Park, and also at the mouth of Netley and the Red.How 's it been for you?
    Going top give it a whirl again this longweeke end up north of Netley and the Red near Devils Creek.
    Have you ever heard of these shallow clam beds north of the mouth of Netley ???
    Reg

10. MBcatmaster

MBcatmaster New Member

State:
    Manitoba, Canada
    I've never heard about these shallow clam beds, but I'm very interested as I live just north of netley. Are they only accesable by boat?
    Thanks.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Welcome Reg!

I would love to fish the Red River somday for those monster channels.

12. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    It's good to see some reports coming out of Canada, thanks for posting guys! Most of all welcome to the B.O.C.

13. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    They're only accessible by boat...if you're interested we could link up and you could come out with me one day. I'm going to do some more sniffin' around and see if I can pin anyone down on these clam(mussel) beds.Get back to you.

14. MBcatmaster

MBcatmaster New Member

State:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks. If you find the spot let me know, I'm pretty interested in it.