RED RIVER FLOODING

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH DAKOTA TALK' started by LUNKERCAT, Jan 19, 2009.

1. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    WAKE UP EVERYONE.TIME TO TALK CATFISHING. LATEST NWS ESTIMATES FOR MAJOR FLOODING IN THE RED RIVER OF NORTH ARE 90 % IN FARGO AREA AND 45% IN GRAND FORKS AREA. IT'S BEEN A LONG, COLD AND SNOWY WINTER UP HERE IN NORTH DAKOTA (WORST SINCE 96-97) AND WE ARE ON PACE TO BREAK SOME ALL TIME SNOW RECORDS. (HIT -44 BELOW IN BISMARCK LAST THURSDAY MORNING)
    I AM HAPPY TO LIVE IN BISMARCK WHERE A DAM PROTECTS US ON THE MISSOURI RIVER. ARE YOU FOLKS IN THE RR VALLEY STARTING TO WORRY? A BIG SPRING FLOOD ISN'T ALWAYS BAD FOR FISHING. EXTENT OF FLOODING ALWAYS SEEMS TO DEPEND ON MELT CONDITIONS AND ICE DAMS FORMING. PRAY FOR A SLOW STEADY MELT.
    ANYONE ITCHING TO BREAK OUT THE RODS. ICE FISHING HAS BEEN A MAJOR NIGHTMARE FOR ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO VENTURE OUT. COULD REALLY HAVE USED A SNOWMOBILE THIS YEAR. VERY DIFFICULT TO GET AROUND WITH ANYTHING ELSE ESPECIALLY IN THE CENTRAL PART OF THE STATE. COULD BE A BAD WINTERKILL YEAR, TOO.
    WILL HAVE TO TAKE A TRIP TO A SOUTHERN STATE SOME YEAR DURING THE WINTER. PERHAPS A TRIP TO A RIVER LIKE THE MISSISSIPPI OR JAMES OR CUMBERLAND FOR BIG BLUE CATS. I DIGRESS. I REALLY HAVE CABIN FEVER AND AM DREAMING OF BATTLING SOME BIG RED RIVER CHANNELS. ANYONE ELSE?
    LUNKERCAT

2. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think we are in for a fairly wild spring. The key now for Grand Forks is the southern valley not getting too much late winter snow.

I have to admit I'm getting pretty excited for some catfishing and hope the flooding is short lived. This year I might get to cheat with a blue trip in March.

Bring on spring!!!

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I lived up there in Grand Forks in 1985 and did alot of fishing on the Red River and the Channal Cat fishing was some of the best I have ever done. I also caught several nice Northren Pike in that river. But Man is it ever Cold up there in the winter time.I also did some ice fishing one winter,I got me a 6" hand ice auger and went out on this lake that i had fished during the summer and I drilled and drilled now I'm here to tell you that ice was 2"ft thick,Finally this fella comes over Laughing and ask if I was having problems getting a hole drilled and I says Yup I sure am so he has one of them gas powered jobs with a long shaft and punches me some holes.LOL great Fishing and some Great Folks up that way but just to Damm Clod for this old fart in the winter time!!!! J.D.

4. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    38 degrees today. It is like a blast of tropical air. I shoveled the driveway off in a sweatshirt today. Everything is starting to thaw out giving us a great boost to help with spring flooding. Hopefully it holds for a few more days.

5. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Yes it is starting to hit home with warmer days we are haven. Light jacket type of days. I myself along with many others will be waiting for that first day on the river. We will just have to all watch and see whathappens this spring. We will let everyone here know when the river is ready and whne she starts kicken oout the big gals. Until then have a safe spring.

6. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    NICE ARTICLE IN THIS MONTHS ISSUE OF "DAKOTA COUNTRY", BRAD. I THINK BILL MITZEL, THE EDITOR, IS DOING A BETTER JOB OF PROMOTING CATFISHING IN HIS MAGAZINE, ESPECIALLY THE LAST YEAR OR 2.
    AS I AM WRITING THIS THEY ARE EVACUATING PARTS OF FARGO BECAUSE OF THE RECORD FLOODING ALONG THE RED. I HOPE AND PRAY EVERYONE ALONG THE RED COMES OUT OF THIS UNSCATHED. IT'S JUST ANOTHER REMINDER OF HOW WE REALLY ARE AT THE MERCY OF MOTHER NATURE.
    TODAYS HIGH IN BISMARCK, 22 DEGREES. WE DODGED A BULLET HERE AS AN ICE JAM JUST SOUTH OF BISMARCK ON THE MISSOURI RIVER WAS BLOWN UP BY A DEMOLITION CREW FROM PENNSYLVANIA. MAYBE THE DROUGHT IS OVER IN WESTERN ND. HOPING FOR A NICE SLOW WARMUP TO AVOID ANYMORE FLOODING. BEST OF LUCK!
    LUNKERCAT

7. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    Thanks on the article. I have not received my copy yet to see the final copy.

The good news of the flooding is they lowered crests today. So far so good here in Grand Forks. It seems that all the new flood protection is paying off. Still a long road ahead for everyone especially in Fargo/Moorhead.

Barring a major disaster from here we will be fishing around May 1.

8. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    good luck with the flooding... if it wasn't so far away i would come and help out