Red River fishing trip

Discussion in 'NORTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by teckman, Feb 23, 2009.

1. teckman

teckman New Member

State:
    wis
    I would like to take a trip to the Red River catfishing this summer. I'm hoping you guys can help me get started with my plans
    1. place to fish
    2. place to stay
    I'm thinking it will be in late June or July in ND - MN

all info would be helpful and appreciated

thanks for your time Bill

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would head up to Drayton ND it is a nice little farm town that has a couple of hotel/motels they also have a city park that has camping for a reasonable rate.

They have a nice concrete landing for your boat and a couple of floating dock/fishing piers if you want to fish from shore.

Did I mention they have fish, BIG Channels.

Here's a web site for some info.

http://www.red-riverresort.com/

I plan on at least one trip to Drayton this year, awesome fishing!

3. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    There are plenty of places to fish along the red or in the red. Are you bringing a boat or shore fishing? Do you want a hotel or to camp? click on my web site in my signature. If you have any questions shoot me an email.

4. bcollins

bcollins New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are plenty of motels to stay - try Canad Inns...at least you can always enjoy the restaurant if you don't catch anything. As far as places to fish, I've always had luck at the Point (ask a local if you don't know where this is) and fish about 100 yards from where the Red Lake hits the Red River. Also try between the Kennedy and Sorlie bridges - caught my biggest cats about halfway between them.

5. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    WISE CHOICE TO FISH THE RED RIVER OF THE NORTH. PEAK TIMES WOULD BE MID-MAY THROUGH MID-JUNE BEFORE THE SPAWN. THEN MID-JULY THROUGH MID-SEPTEMBER. WATER LEVELS UP AND DOWN THE RED SHOULD BE GOOD JUDGING BY THIS SPRINGS HIGH WATER. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE BRINGING A BOAT, IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO CHECK THE HYDROLOGICAL GRAPHS FOR CURRENT LEVELS AS SOME RAMPS IN THE UPPER REACHES CAN BE HIGH AND DRY BY MID-SUMMER.
    I PERSONALLY LIKE FISHING THE DRAYTON AREA, BUT THERE CAN BE GREAT FISHING ALL OVER. THE BUXTON AREA HAS A NICE COUNTY PARK ON THE RIVER WITH A DECENT RAMP. GRAND FORKS HAS ALL THE AMENITIES IF YOU LIKE DINING OUT AND COMFORTABLE LIVING. DRAYTON HAS A CAMPGROUND AND A COUPLE MOTELS, BUT BE SURE TO BOOK FAR IN ADVANCE AS THEY FILL UP WITH CONSTRUCTION WORKERS IN THE SUMMER. ALSO DRAYTON HAS 2 BOAT RAMPS AND THE 1 DOWNSTREAM FROM THE DAM CAN BE MUDDY GETTING TO AFTER A BIG RAIN, SO YOU CAN ALWAYS FISH OUT OF THE ONE IN TOWN. WHATEVER YOUR PLANS INCLUDE, BE SURE TO HAVE PLENTY OF BAIT OPTIONS AS THOSE RED-RIVER CATS CAN BE KIND OF FINICKY AT TIMES.
    GOOD LUCK
    LUNKERCAT:smile2: