Red River fishing tips

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by inspectorart, Nov 30, 2005.

1. inspectorart

inspectorart New Member

State:
    Alexandria,Louisiana
    I am new to this forum and I am looking for any tips for fishing in the Red River.I live about three miles from the Ben Routh Landing south of Alexandria.I have been catching some nice channels and a few nice blues one was 18lb last week.I have been catching most of them on jugs with shad for bait.Any tips would be appreciated.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Art, It looks as if you are doing ok with the jugs. :D I am originally from Louisiana and still have family around Rayville, Start and west Monroe. I have been here in Arkansas for about 6 years now. can you get skip Jack for bait? I was introduced to skips as bait from the Arkansas fishermen. When I lived in Louisiana I could not spell skit jock :D must less fish with it. :D

3. inspectorart

inspectorart New Member

State:
    Alexandria,Louisiana
    Yea I can get skip jacks and I will try them on my next time out.Im not originally a coon $ss either I grew up in South Texas around lake Amistad,I caught lots of nice catfish there growing up.Fishing in a river like the Red is new to me but with the locks and dams its more like a big lake right now with no current where I am at.Most of my buddies are bass fisherman and dont appreciate catfish the way we do,and they consider jugs and trotlines well... cheating.

4. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    try up around the grain barges. i used to work with a guy that lived in alexandria and he showed me some impressive pictures.