Red River Fishing Reports

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ar_confederate, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Just a quick trip report. Went on the river from about 7:30 PM until 12:15AM or so. We caught 4 nice eating size fish about 4-5 lbs each, about 6 dinks that we didn't keep and I caught my personal best goo! Several people we talked to mentioned that they only caught a "couple".

We tried fishing in several areas and depths and did better when we were fishing cut shad in about 4 to 6 feet of water. The bite certainly wasn't terrific but seemed to be best around 8 PM to 9PM and then again around 10:30. Now if Gooboy was there....

I couldn't believe all the shad that we saw out there tonight. Everywhere you looked...

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like a decent night of fishing. As for the people telling you they caught a couple could they have meant a couple dozen? Congrats on your catch.

3. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Thanks. I'm still learning how to catfish so it's entirely possible that I catch 3 or 4 and they catch a couple of dozen!:lol:

4. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Congrats on the personal best GOO!!!! Glad some of my fishin' skill is rubbin' off on ya!!!LOL:big_smile:

5. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i went by myself saturday morning, i put out 15 noodles, first up near centurytel, i only caught 2 little white bass and one catfish there in a couple hours, so i moved further down the river, at the next spot i caught 6 more good fish including my biggest fish on jugs to date.... an 8 pounder.. i had chicken hearts and my usual live shad.. i gave the hearts a real chance.. baited 10 noodles with hearts and 5 with live shad.. i caught one fish on hearts, , and the rest all came on the live shad... nearly every fish i caught came from water about 5 feet deep and near a log thats laying on the bottom there.. the water was 93 degrees saturday morning.. i think that might be whats slowing down the fishing..it was 89 degrees almost all of july and all of us were catchuing a lot more fish during that time..

6. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Look under the lock #2 thread. I posted a wrap up of an all nighter we pulled friday night.

7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Fished Saturday night from 7pm til 1230am. Launched at Teague Pkwy. We ran 14 noodles & only caught 3 fish, using shrimp & gizzards.

I did have about a 15 pound flathead break off at the boat. We were about 5ft off the bank under the bridge by the launch. Got him up 3 times to the boat & everytime he would take off back under the boat. The 3rd time was enough for him...he'd had enough! :angry:

8. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Good report. Try next weekend! You'll get him eventually.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Aww Man! That's awful! Did you almost jump in after him??? Sorry to hear it, but hey, that means he's still out there...:wink:

10. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I about cried! It would have definately been my biggest cat on rod & reel!

11. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    If you sign up for one of Gooboy's lessons, you have a real good chance of catching a big ol good un, as my Dad used to say!

12. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Just got in off the river. We fished from 7 til about 1am & ended up with about 15, mostly caught on noodles using gizzards. My father-in-law was in his boat running noodles also & ended with about as many. He was fishing in the same general area as us.

We started out running south to the first jetty on the right & throwing the noodles. We caught 1 or 2 & pulled them up & moved across the river & back towards the launch just a little. We had thrown about 4noodles back into the water & 2 of them started jumping around. We didn't even have time to get them all in the water. We thought we had em found & threw the rest of them out. We caught several pretty quick but once it got totally dark, they slowed WAY down. After that it was one here & there.

We did miss quite a few fish, they just didn't seem to be hitting it hard enough to get hooked. Once or twice we had good fish on & about halfway up to the boat, they would just let go.. We did catch one that once in the boat, I went to remove the hook & found that the fish was just holding it in his mouth...he wasn't hooked. They were brand new 7/0 & 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks & we made sure the barbs were exposed. I don't know what the problem was! :confuse:

13. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    James I reckon that was you I talked to at the launch. We ended up with 13 cats and 5 white's Had a really good time, but man I'ma ready for some cooler evenings. We used whole shad and cut shad fer bait , caught the sandies on live one's. That sure was one purty rig ya had there... oh well I fallin out..Have a good evening. Buy the way I was the little fat guy, go by Rupert!

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    [QUOTE
    We did miss quite a few fish, they just didn't seem to be hitting it hard enough to get hooked. Once or twice we had good fish on & about halfway up to the boat, they would just let go.. We did catch one that once in the boat, I went to remove the hook & found that the fish was just holding it in his mouth...he wasn't hooked. They were brand new 7/0 & 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks & we made sure the barbs were exposed. I don't know what the problem was! :confuse:[/QUOTE]

I think ya using way too big of a hook! I've got my noodles rigged up with number 1(not 1 ought) gamakatsu hooks. We have caught several 8 to 10 lbers on them with no problems. I even caught a 15.5 lber on a number 2 gamakatsu a couple weeks back on rod and reel.. Unless your fishing live bait, I really don't think ya need them big hooks your using. I don't think the larger hooks can get turned properly in the smaller fishes mouth. Just my 2 cents! good luck and let me know what ya try!

15. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I'll try downsizing & see how that goes. Although this is the first time I have had that problem. We probably lost 10-15 fish last night so I need to change up something!

Rupert, it was good talking to ya! Were ya'll north or south of the launch? We haven't been doing very well too the north so we decided to stay south last night.

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    James thats the same area that I've been fishin, only I've been goin in the mornin, and doin good untill aroud 10am. Been usein 2/o J hooks, but I'm gonna change over to a 2/0 circle hook and see how they do, on noodles.

17. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    James we were fishing North up by the Horseshoe, We ran the noodles just south of both bridges. Was some slow drifting. We rod an reel fished next ta the Horseshoe for awhile and caught quite a few but we turned most of them back, not that they weren't keepers, just didn't need that many. It was a pleasure talking to ya, I wish I had reconized ya from your pic. Will see ya next time, although I think my evening fishin trips will be few and far b/w, It's just to dadburned hot I'ma gonna go in the mornings till the jetskies show up....

18. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Fishing was rough. I caught a 5+ lber around 0645 and very little (except GOO) until 1300. Nobody else did very well on cats either. The bass were biting good at Cypress.

We are all going on a noodling trip tonight around 7:00 pm out of Teague.

19. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Well, we went out yesterday from about 6 PM to 10:30 and did pretty good. We took rods and jugs but didn't get to use the rods. The jugs kept us busy. We had 15 jugs out and caught 14. Four of them ran from about 5 lbs to about 7 lbs. The rest were dinks, about 1 lb but good eating size. We were using cut shad and cut goo. They really seemed to like the goo and it stayed on the hook real well.

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Emmett...glad y'all did so good. And...why do you think they call it goo??:tounge_out: