Red River Channels!

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishchet, Jun 5, 2008.

1. catfishchet

catfishchet New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey guys, I'm new here, just had a ridiculous trip and wanted to share. 40 some channels averaging #20+ in about 10 hours of fishing. Only weighed one fish to get a rough estimate of the others but plenty of fish in the 25-30lb. range. If you've ever considered crossing the border to Canada for channels do it.

Attached Files:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    wow those are some big channels

3. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Holy smokes...

Some day I'm gonna get up there. Some day...

4. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    You have been to the Mecca of all channel cat fishing. The only way you can believe fishing that good is to go there and see it for yourself. Great Job, glad you had fun.

I will be up there next week and also have 5 days booked in July. I can't wait.

5. fioen57

fioen57 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Keep me posted on when and where to go! Any info would be appreciated! Thanks

6. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Cat's on the Red very fun!
    Hey Stu

7. dhanspitbull

dhanspitbull New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm only in my second season of serious catfishing and am planning a trip up to the Red River. I'm going off the shore and am looking for some tips on whats a good location to head to. Someone throw me a bone please.

8. catfishchet

catfishchet New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You don't need your passport until sometime in 09'. Bring your birth certificate and photo I.D. and head to Lockport/Selkirk. Maybe it's a little early to spoil yourself like that though...

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Now that is quite the trip, congrats and thanks for sharing

10. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Brad what time of the year is best on the Red?We go to white earth lake every year and would like to swing over.What kind of limits do they have on cats at the Red?Is the Red River a clear river like the lakes up there,let me know send me a message Thanks John(Ole Bullhead)Hagen

11. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    "To thick to drink but too thin to plow"

I believe the quote was originally about the Platte but it works just as well for the Red River. Its one horseshoe bend after another, all through the middle of the valley which is all clay. 150 to 200 feet of loon$hit. So she can be pretty brown, if your shore fishing find a good outside curve. Watch the eddys and break lines.

Minnesota DNR and North Dakota both have a 5 catfish limit, either channel or flathead catfish or mixed. Only one allowed over 24".

From what I've been reading and hearing the Big cats are on the move right now and hungry after spawning.

I hear there is a newly reworked boat landing near Hendrum. Drayton is a much talked about hot spot. There is good fishing I think all the way from the Fargo dam all the way to Winnipeg. The farther north you go the bigger they get.

If you want to come to Fargo and shore fish I'll be glad to show you a spot or 2.

12. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Sorry I have been gone so long to answer your post. The Red is almost perfect right now. The fish are finally out of that post spawn funk and seem to be on the prowl. The limit is 5 per angler with one over 24". I ask for the good of the fishery that all fish over 24" be returned to the water.

We are in for a great fall. Mr. Whiskers is ready to play.