Red river channel catfish die off 18,000+

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Goldenshinner, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

say i herd on the news a short anouncement that a massive die off mostly channel cats on the red river happened last week! some 18,000+ channel cats have been found dead. still unknown but they mentioned a possible disease as a cause. anyone have more info on this horrifiying storie???

2. CatFreak

CatFreak New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was in the chat room with a guyfrom up there just last night. He said it was a bacteria that was killing them but was localized to a 2 mile streach of the river and they didnt expect it to spread. He said they picked up 2000 in one day. Very scary and sad.

3. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Man that's a shame, sure am glad it's not our Red River...........Hope it don't spread...........

4. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    thats a shame. the red river is a great fishery.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Rupert, I thought at first it was... never can tell whats gonna happen when those Texan's bathe. Right Bud?

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wow that is real sad :sad2:

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.

Me too. Had me scared there for a minute!

8. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

yes its ashame as the red was arguably the worlds finest channel catfishery. wounder if or how it would affect the population.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Just the fact that there were 18,000 cats in a 2 mile stretch of river amazes me! You guys are pretty spoiled:wink:. I hope whatever happened gets taken care of. It is a real shame to lose that many fish.

10. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I live in Grand forks were this is happening. I need to clarify a couple things.

The dead cat count was 1,600 not 18,000..

the stretch is from our south side of the Riverside dam south to a little past our Thompson ND bridge area. about a 12-14 mile stretch.

it seems to be only in this area and not due to any sewage dumping or anything to that nature. althought the dnr and biologists are still testing fish they are able to find floating either dead or near dead.

the bacteria is affecting the fish because of them having a low emune system due to lower than normal water and therefore lower oxygene in take.

I have noticed that during my outings that I saw many BIG fish floating in small groups or in near areas of each other on Red.

hope this helps in a few areas. also hope we get rid of this problem soon. It makes me upset to see all of these fish floating and bloated.

take care and keep on hauling them in..

11. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    for a minute I thought you were blaming me.. my last name is Rupert and I live in Grand Forks were they are dying. lol

take care

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I hope the best for you guys I've heard that sometimes fish kills are better and the fishing gets better. Not sure where I heard it though. I hope that all gets figured out.

Tom

13. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is from the Crookston Daily Times.
    Luckily, the Red River of the North is a very strong fishery and is sure to rebound quickly.

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    That sux I have been wanting to fish the Red for a several years. I hope it makes a full and fast recovery. 1,600 is still a lot of fish.

15. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    thanks for more of the info Ketch..

The Red is by no means not worthy of fshing here still. there were alot of BIG fish dead but the majority were smaller ones. I have still been catching larger cats (upper 20's ) which have not been affected . I know to the north and on the redlake towards crookston they are still catching nice ones too. average size for Grand forks area is 15 with 25's still to be caught .

I spoke to a friend of mine in Fargo and he is still catching 15-25 pounders regularly. these fish will rebound fast so come on down to Grand Forks and give it a whirl for some nice BIG cat action.

16. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The dead fish were found in a pretty large area of the Red yet it is still fairly localized considering the Red River is over 500 miles long. They have found traces of two naturally occurring bacteria that have been triggered by another factor to make it lethal to catfish. The Minnesota DNR and North Dakota Game and Fish are still trying to find that cause.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50678&section=News

So far the catfish populations as a whole are in good shape on the Red and there are still healthy fish to be found in the area of the die off.

17. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    yep.. there are still plenty Big Channels to be taken before freeze up. I am going today to try them. let you know what happens..