Red River Catfishing

Discussion in 'NORTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 5, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    HAS ANYONE EVER FISHED THE RED RIVER NEAR MANITOBA? IS IT WORTH THE TRIP? ANY TIPS ON THE BEST GUIDES FOR THIS RIVER?

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC, Jack! I've heard some great things about Red River catfishing. We have two Red River guides in our Guide Partnership that you should check out, Kent Hollands (LandsCats) of Trophy Cat Adventures and Brad Durick (CaptainBrad) of Brad Durick Outdoors. I'm sure both will help you out and be able to answer any questions you have.

3. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The Red River is one of the premier channel cat fisheries on the continent. The fishing is great all up and down the Red. You will find much great fishing success simply by showing up. If you are looking for a guide either Kent or myself would be proud to host you for a Red River adventure.

4. NightWarrior

NightWarrior New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I fish the red around the fargo area, I target cats, eyes, pike and smallmouth bass...

5. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Brad you pretty much covered it. The Red River is in a league of its own when it comes the Channel Catfishing. Just about everything thing you read about channel cats the Red River comes up. Yukon, if you do have any questions feel free to ask either Brad or I and we will do our best.

6. gpbakken

gpbakken New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    reason I'm asking is at 3+ per gallon it's best for me to try to limit how far I range from the Twin Cities..

7. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The catfishing is good all along the Red River. The rule of thumb is the further north you go the bigger the fish get. You still have a shot at a big one in the south stretch but the odds do increase as you head north.

8. hardwaterfanatic

hardwaterfanatic New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Brad and Kent stated things correctly. If you were planning on heading to Manitoba, I would do it. I would maybe try to hit a "peak" time if you are worried about the cost of fuel making or breaking the trip.

I went last fall and had the great channel cat experience of my life. I will try to put up a post about my outing in the Canadian catfishing forum. Capt Brad can attest to how incredible the fishing was too!

Make sure you hit up Stu at Cats on the Red if you go up there though. He can take care of you and let you know how/where the bite is going for the SUMO kitties!