Red River August 18

Discussion in 'NORTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by CaptainBrad, Aug 18, 2009.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The hot weather of the past week is just what the doctor ordered on the catfish front. The warm up and stable weather finally gave the cats the push they needed to start the fall feed after what ended up being a long drawn out spawning season.

The best bite has been in snags along the shore with some deeper/faster water near by. other spots to look at are the front of holes or behind underwater snags. I also noticed that fish are beginning to move into the holes. The best way to cover the holes is just drive over and use your electronics to find them. Most baits are working with sucker and frog being the best.

The past weekend I had the opportunity to guide for the DNR Becoming and Outdoors Woman program. For two days we took women who had never catfished before on the river to teach them how to rig, cast, bait, and catch bait. All of the women had a great time chasing catfish for the first time and I'm pretty sure they will be back in the future.

After being around this program I think it is a great program for any woman who wants to learn more about the outdoors and what they have to offer. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to guide for this again in the future.

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    do you use the lepoard frogs there?

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Maybe see ya on the river in July or Aug 2010, I heard theres a tourny end of july near Fargo.

4. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I'm sure I will be around. I have not heard of a tournament by Fargo but there is the big Cats Incredible in East Grand Forks July 30,31 and August 1. Entries must be delivered in person or post marked Feb 16th to get in.

http://www.gfchamber.com/ndgracoc/doc.nsf/files/DB002A5BEEEC77C0872576B800744BFE/$file/Cats%20Registraion%202010.pdf

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010