Red River at Marksville

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by LarryW, Apr 11, 2006.

1. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I am looking at some property in the Marksville area and was wondering if there are any members that fish in this area. I was told there is a launch in the area but have not checked it out yet. I would hate to move there and not have a good place to go fish.

2. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    I too have looked online at property in and around Marksville. I grew up in Jena, and we used to fish many of the bayous off of Hwy 28. The Saline Wildlife Management Area on Hwy 28 encompasses many bayous and lakes. I noticed the COE has boat landings on both sides of the RR at the Boggs L&D. I don't see how a guy could go wrong (fishing wise) living in that area. To me that area is the hub of the state.

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Do we have any members in the Marksville area? I am thinking of moveing there and would like to find some fishing buddies and good places to fish.

4. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I don't live there but do alot of work in the area it would be a great place for a catfisherman to live.

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I'm not there but I bet you could sign some people up pretty easy. From what I've see looks like a catfishing dream. Put some fliers up for the BOC at the bait stores.

Good luck!

6. inspectorart

inspectorart New Member

State:
    Alexandria,Louisiana
    I live about three miles from the Red River in Effie,about 12 miles north of Marksville.I have launched many times at the Ben Routh landingand have done real well fishing the area around the bridge.I do a lot of jugging and rarely see anyone else jugging here.Lots of bass fisherman.Its a nice clean park and landing with bathrooms.

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Sounds like I will have some good fishing on the river, may catch some big ones. The property I am buying has a stocked pond so I hope that I will have a steady supply of eating fish.

I am really not familial with the area. How do you get to Ben Routh landing?

8. inspectorart

inspectorart New Member

State:
    Alexandria,Louisiana
    Its easy,go north from Marksville on hwy 107 and cross the Red River bridge (locally known as the Moncla bridge) and take an immediate right on the Vick road and go approximately 2 miles and you will see a gate to the park on your right.A nice park with bathrooms and a park for the kids.I believe its maintained by the Parish and the Red River waterway commission.Read the warning signs at the launch.Me and my two Daughters went there this morning and ran 30 jugs,we caught 16 blues the five biggest weighed 15 to 18 pounds most of the others were 2 to 5 pounders also caught 6 nice crappie.The launch and the park opens at daylight and closes at dark.Watch out for the barges and I wont go in the river when there is a lot of current and can get really dangerous poor cell phone signal in this area if you were to break down or get in trouble etc.

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    This park is definitely worth checking out and the aminities are great to have with children. Thanks for posting directions.

10. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I've caught MANY huge catfish fishing at lock and dam no. 1.

11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Glad to know that there is a lock and dam close by. Where is the dam located and is there a boat ramp near by. I am just getting my berrings of the area and need all the help that I can get.

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Thanks for all the information from the brothers