Red River Access - Burneyville, Leon area

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by jcaldeira, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jcaldeira

jcaldeira New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm planning a canoe-fishing trip on the Red River and would like to launch somewhere in the Burneyville or Leon area. Does anyone know of a good launch location in this area? We would be leaving a vehicle there for a few days as we paddle to Dripping Springs, approximately 20 miles downstream of the I-35 bridge.

Thanks,
    John

2. kfire01

kfire01 New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't know of any launch points in that area, but I am planning a trip from Ringgold, on the Texas side (several miles west of Leon) next month, so I would like to hear how your trip goes. Good luck and good fishing.

3. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Good luck finding someplace! They've pretty much fenced the whole river these days where you can't get on unless you know someone. You can thank all the idiots for that... I do know a place that you can get on down at Leon. Not sure if it is sometplace that I would want to leave my vehicle for a few days though. It is at a dead end kinda in the middle of nowhere. Msg me if you want directions.

4. jcaldeira

jcaldeira New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Mudcreeker,

Thanks for your note. I found a ranch on the Texas side that would let us launch, so we're all set to go in early June.

I also kayaked the 25 miles to the I-35 bridge a few weeks ago to check it out and the bank erosion is amazing. Many trees in the river as nature takes its course.

Best fishing,

John