Red light good for not spooking fish??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by moosman66, Jun 24, 2006.

1. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have heard that red light does not spook fish. I have a headlight with a red led light on it and I try to use that instead of the white light.

2. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The energiser 1redled and 2whiteled is a good headlamp.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    In the muddy waters I fish, I don't think it matters. If I am going to be worried about anything it's going to be sounds echoing from the bottom of a boat. How does a deer react when it hears a foreign sound? Same with a big cat. Metal on the bottom of the boat, loud talking on the bank or boat, etc...

4. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Here's something to think about. I turned the fish in this photo loose in very shallow water near my boat. Using our red lights, we watched her lay quietly for quite a while. Just to see her reaction, I turned a white light on her, and immediately she shot off out of site!! After that experience, I'd say that a red light does not spook them.

Attached Files:

5. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I have one also and seems to not spoke them

6. Red is the color least likely to sppok both fish and land animals. Probably more so on fish since colors in the red spectrum are the first to be lost as the water depth increases.
    In humans red is used to preserve night vision as well so it is an added benefit to use a red lens so that you can see your tackle or tie knots.
    I use a red lens for coonhunting. It doesn't leave me seeing spots or blind when I cut the light off at night. It is also the color to use to get coons to look (coons are often located by eyeshine) down from the tree. I have tested this and had coons look right at the light when the red lens cover is used just to have them turn their heads away when then lens cover is removed and the white light is on them.
    If anyone is interested in purchasing a quality light that will give years of service check into some of the lights designed for coonhunting. They are rugged and designed to burn all night on one charge (many of them hold enough charge for several nights). With the use of Ni-cad and NiMH batteries the weights have dropped down in many cases to less than 2 pounds. The downside is cost but that is coming down due to market forces.
    Check out some of these lights at.
    www.huntsmart.com
    www.wickoutdoor.com
    www.mylightconnection.com
    There are others as well so look around. One of the neat things about some of these new ones is the use of a cordura nylon pouch instead of the older hard battery cases.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Actually sound in the air does not have an bearing on fish under water. The difference in the density of the two items does not allow for noise/vibration transmission between the two to be very efficient if at all. If something isn't in the water and it makes a noise you don't have a problem, an example would be if your sitting in a boat and yell you will not bother the fish but if you drop a little split shot on the aluminum floor you have a problem. Now if you stick your mouth right down next to the water but not in it and yell so that the air exhaled makes ripples in the water you have a sound transmitted into the water, poorly transmitted, but it could scare fish. We did this as a physics challenge in college and I was amazed as I had always been told to be quiet when fishing on the bank. Now I know dad was just messing with me and was doing it for his own peace and quiet. I still didn't buy into the fact after our proving it in class so we all went down to the swimming pool, I got in and they yelled at me to cross my fingers and come up. If I had done it I would of won $20.00 so I really wanted to hear and respond. Nothing was heard, heck I couldn't even begin to hear them. I was in 4 feet of water sitting on the bottom and the pool was still as no one else was in it. Just an experience.

8. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks everyone you have given me some insight on a subject that i was not to fond of. Thanks everybody great information

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Theres Something Called The Evening Secret...u Can Google It And Kinda See It...theres Not Many Pics Of It...but Basically Its A Light That U Put On The Side Of The Boat, And All Kinds Of Plankton And Feeder Fish Start Coming Around In The First 15 Min! I Bought One, So Im Speaking From Experience. Im Not Sure What Kind Of Light Bulb Is In It...and That Sucks B/c I Own A Electrical Supply House...im Trying To Build My Own Noe B/c That Thing Costed Me About 120.00...theres Not Too Many Fluorescent Light Bulbs Out There, So Ill Eventually Find It...but Basically, It Puts The Food Chain Process In Full Effect Right Under Ur Boat. We Use It In The Gulf All The Time, And It Works Wonders...but Im Sure U Can Use It Anywhere The Water Is Clear. But Different Light Spectrums Cause Different Effects To Fish, But Pretty Much All Light Will Attract Fish.
    Shaun

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Warrior is correct about fishing with a coonhunting light with a red lens. I use mine regulary. I have a high side on my light that will shine as bright as any headlight and I use it when motoring in my boat and I need to see something. I mostly use the low side with a red lens, which doesn't attract bugs or scare the fish when fishing.
    Warrior, I use a $300 Coonbuster light. I will bet you are one of the few who know what a Redtick is. I highly reccomend a $100 Nite Lite for fishermen. You can find them at www.huntsmart.com

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think the best advantage of using a red light is that it does not ruin your night vision. Also, attracts far less inscets. Think a lot of things spook fish, and light in shallow water may be one of them. I have them along in case I feel a real long earthworm or something crawl across my legs. Yep, you need one then.