red light bobbers - Blue Gills - Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 15, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use them red light up bobbers with a gill underneath sometimes is that a big mistake, whats the advatage of using a float, i dont even know how to use a slip bobber is it all that better than anchering to the bottem, ive had hits on red lite up floats but no hooksets

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Stay away from light up anything when fishing for flathead, try to keep it as natural as possible.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    u tight line or click i do both, seems clicker scarethem when u pick the poll up , but the biggest 40 was using a clicker, so im going to do both

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    clicker all the time unless they are dropping it on you. bobbers are usually only good in slack water or for drifting an area,which you would only do in daylight. i agree with the no lights. also be very quiet on the bank because they will spook out of an area with flashing lights, shadows and pounding footsteps. IMO

5. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC

ok i fish a pay lake that is stocked with big blues and flatheads ..... one night i was fishing with those round red light up bobbers .. live bream about 2-3 feet under them .... with 0 bites .... switched back to my 96 cents red and white plastic bobber and wasnt 15 mins had a 17 lb flathead .... deff.. stay away from lighted bobbers ..even though its much easier to see.. now as for the slip corks i could be mistaking but i think it is just so you can set the depth a lil deeper and still be able to use a cork and cast your line .... where with a regular cork you can only really set it like 1-4 feet and stll be able to cast ..where with the slip cork you can set it 20 feet and be able to cast your pole ....
    line stop, bead, slipcork, weight, bead, leader, and hook thats the way i do it .....

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    if your needing a visual to alert a hit, tip your rod w/ tiny glostick or led.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i do that but i can only get them around haloween,lol, but there awsome wen u can get them, if i cant see i use clickers

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In the spring and summer while fishing at night....I use a cat-bobber with an 8" glow stick inserted into the top of it. It works great for floating large Bluegills. I dont use any weights and let the Bait swim freely with about a 5 or 6' leader. The light doesnt seem to have hindered my fishing any!!! I use the green glow sticks and I can see when a big Flathead takes the bait...long before the clicker sounds off. I Have caught several nice ones this way, usually when the float is up against the bank and the bait is real shallow at night.:cool2:

9. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    What I found for Dh is a tiny cow bell looking thing at the craft store. I put a clip on the end and he clips it to the end of the pole. When the pole moves it makes a tiny ring. I looked all over for something and man after I finished the arts and crafty thing a couple weeks later Walmart had something just about like it. Oh, well give me a A for effort

10. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    if i can find the link again there is a gentlemen that is well known for flathead catfishing that is giving a video seminar, in the video he talks about light and how it affects fishing and how it doesnt, one of the major things he touched on is if there is alot of lumination overflow from lights and such then the fish in that area are accustomed to that cause its not light like the sun beating down on the water, but more of low light, like street lights and such, he ha suggested that if the area you are in doesnt have alot of light then no lights would be best, if there is light present and is not complete darkness then the use of glow sticks and light up bobbers wouldnt hurt cause the fish are accustomed to the ambiant light of that area, like a downtown city area where alot of light is present all the time. as far as noise, noise will spook any fish period, the quieter you are the better of you are.

if you need glow sticks, find a dollar general, dollar store, etc... they usually carry glow sticks of all sizes all year round and when i need them you can get a thing of them for $1 for 6 usually for the necklace or bracelet ones, the bigger ones i think are $1 for 2

11. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
  12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you are in need of some glow sticks....check with wild wolfe products...one of our sponsors. You can get 100 glow sticks for around $10. That makes them about .10 each. I buy them by the 100's.:wink:

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah, I love them glowsticks for the bobbers or the tips of your poles.

Here is a link to help find them easier:

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm

They are a good price too.

14. kevinfoerster

kevinfoerster New Member

State:
    Illinois
    just bought some kat bobbers, i do a lot of night fishing with cut bluegil, right next to a walmart and city lights. they dont mind lighted bobbers, but i wanted to be able to float bigger baits cheaper, so i picked up a 3 inch kat bobber, a 4 inch kat bobber and a 4 inch fat kat bobber. cant wait to try them.

15. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Been wanting to try some 4" Fat cats...just wating until we get back from Fl. to order

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i made this post years ago lol. man i have grown up alot and know so much more lol....well not about reels lol

17. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I have caught some nice flats using lighted floats

18. lehigh

lehigh New Member

State:
    IL
    do you know how to use a slip bobber yet?:wink1::wink1: