Red Horse Suckers

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by ldp4657, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ldp4657

ldp4657 New Member

State:
    Two Egg, Florida
    I know the red horse suckers run at least twice a year. Can anyone give me the approximate times?

2. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The redhorse suckers I'm familiar with run only once--in the spring. I had thought that held true for all sucker species.

3. ldp4657

ldp4657 New Member

State:
    Two Egg, Florida
    I remember catching them in the spring. But I alse remember going out with a friend setting sucker nets on one of the coldest days of my life. It doesn't get too cold here in Fl but during the winter months.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught a golden redhorse (bout 3#) last Friday on a trotline above lock 10 KY River. It was a pretty fish (as far as suckers go). I'd never seen one before, so I had to get the books out to ID it. It was good to find out that they have a low tolerance for pollution, indicating the water quality of the pool I fish between locks 10 and 11 may not be so bad after all.

I wish I'd taken a photo of it but my partner cleaned it before I had a chance. Haven't eaten it yet, I hear it is sweet succulent meat (but boney).

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I believe I have caught one of these ugly thing last season. Are they the carp that have a leathery appearance with only a few scales here and there? My was calling it a "horse sucker" and said theyr'e rare around here, so I let it go. Just curious?

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Redhorse make on major run in the spring to spawn. The gradually make their ways back into the major rivers and pools that they winter in in late summer through fall, but its not really a "run" usually where you have masses of them moving at one time. We used to fish for them back home to break out of our winter blues. We'd catch them up to 8lbs, but usual fish was 2-4lbs.

Now, the "horse sucker" that is being referred to is more normally known as a mirror carp, which is the same as a normal carp, just genetically altered so that there is no scales, or just a few larger scales(sometimes called an armored carp).

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    [ I know the red horse suckers run at least twice a year. Can anyone give me the approximate times? ]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention: Around here they say the black suckers are running when the redbud begin to bloom and the white suckers run when the dogwood blooms. I don't know about the redhorse suckers, but I bet there are some old timers in your area that can tell you when and where.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Back home there are a variety of suckers. Black suckers, golden redhorse, silver redhorse, striped suckers, stonerollers and quillback, which are like a cross between a carp and sucker. And those are just the ones I'm sure of.

9. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    As a kid in the '50s in Minnesota we used to catch suckers and red horse, just after ice out in the spring. The suckers were better eating and the local smokehouse would take all we got. we caught them just like catfish with worms on the bottom.--shu

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I catch them in small creeks on nightcrawlers during the spring and then during the summer and fall I've caught them in the larger river systems. So it must only be during the spring that they run.

11. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    in arkansas they shoal just a little before the dog woods bloom. we used to snag them when they were shoaling to lay eggs. they were so boney we pressure cooked them and mad patties of them like salmon croquets. lol boliver