RED FISHING HOOKS -- IS IT A SCAM?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Catfish_Commando, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I registered yesterday and still haven't received a password. Still waiting.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Paul,
    I left you a comment as I've given them a fair trial side by side with the other colors. Read my comment to find out my opinion.....:wink::big_smile:

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Personally I like to use red line so it disappears under water in conjunction with red hooks to create a feeding frenzy!

??????????????

5. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have more luck with wire brass hooks for panfish, but I doubt that it really matters in water deeper than 6 ft. The metals that take the red dye well seem to be more brittle and more likely to break. I think the red hooks are better at catching fishermen than fish.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have said this many times before and will say it again. Red hooks are suppose to attrack and red line is suppose to dissapear. :crazy:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Get on over to this site. Its a whole different world and its a blast. I highly recomend it for a change of scenery. Then get on back here.:wink:

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    How sharp a hook is and what you put on it are more important than the color. I think red hooks are fine, but if I can get the same size and style hook for cheaper just because it isn't red, then that's what I'll do :big_smile:.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    YES

RED LINE ABSORBS LIGHT MAKING IT INVISABLY
    RED HOOKS REFLECT LIGHT ATTRACTING FISH TO YOUR BAIT.... BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT NEITHER ONE......

i love cajun red line (not for the disapearing thing ) and use small red trebles( they were cheap at kmart) when carp fishing but i dont use red hooks for anything else

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I own 100 red Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 8/0 with no offset and 12/0 nickel plated Octopus and 8/0 Octopus circle regular color with an offset. I notice absolutely no difference in the amount of bites between the hooks. Over the past season and a half I have often used all 3 during the same outing depending upon bait and method of presentation.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i bought some red hooks for channel cats just because the man didnt have the black ones and ive found that the red wears off just from baiting and unbaiting my hooks.underneith the red is a plain old gold hook.i cant see any difference in the hook after it is all gold or if its brand new with all the red still on it.

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm thinking it makes about as much sense as buying a red plastic catfish worm and then stuffing it into a sticky smelly goo that completely covers the plastic worm.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So do red hooks.. Every wavelength gets absorbed except the red wavelengths they get reflected. That is how we see color and all. The reflected wavelength we see is the color of the object. Unless the object absorbs all colors then it's "black" and if it reflects all colors then it's "white". Just a little insight on how things work.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    My opinion on the subject is this. Have you ever taken a pair of pliers to a red hook? How long did that red paint stay on.. maybe about as long as it took to remove the pliers from the hook. I have more gold gooks then I do red. As far as the red line being more invisible, why not just use fluorocarbon if you want invisible fishing line.

15. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    personally i havent seen a difference, but i do try to keep them sharp. the red spectrum is one of the first to go in water, why they say its invisible line, as far as red hooks most fish dont see in color, jmo

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I tied a bunch of bucktail jigs with red and bronze hooks and didn't notice any difference in the catch ratio. I'll stick with bronze.

17. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I prefer the red hooks so that I can see them more easily when I drop them on the ground. In my experience, hook color has had no effect on the bite.

-- Rich