Red Eyes Of Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catseeman, May 2, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I was fishing a creek known to have big cats in it. yhe fishing slowed to no bites. I shined a light in the shallows across from me. Under the surface i saw two red eyes about 6" apart. Do catfish eyes show up like this? It diffinetly was some kind of fish. Has any one else had this happen?

2. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That has never happened to me. But a lot of the smallmouth bass in the area were I fish have orange to red eyes. So it could have been one of them.

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    most animal eyes are reflective when any light is shone on them..so it really could have been anything...

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've never seen eyes glowing under the water, but the eyes do reflect red while I'm holding them and my led headlight is on. Whatever it was I hope you tried to catch it. Anything with eyes 6" apart is something I want to catch.:big_smile:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Terry, be careful what your wishing for... remember the Creature from the Black Lagoon...its eyes were only about 4 or 5 inches apart. lol As far as the red eyes on catfish, maybe, just maybe you need to jam a hook into your mouth and see what color your eyes turn. rothflmau

6. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Now that I think about it, I know that catfish eyes will reflect red/orange when shined.

I have seen them by the thousands behind an aerator on commercial fish ponds at night and when you shine the spotlight across the water, you can see their eyes light up.

Not a good thing to see when you realize 100,000 head of catfish in the pond are trying to breath above the surface and you know it's because there's hardly any oxygen left below the surface. :crazy:

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    It could of been a Troll! :lol: