red ear

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by beakus, Feb 8, 2008.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    here's another question, we have a couple of lakes around that are supposed to be full of red ear,i only fish for them once in indiana but i dont remember what time of the year it was but they were on the spaun bed in about 1-3 foot of water, i would love to take my 6 yr old at that time any idea when they spaun,i'm guessing about april or may here in kansas?

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Take your boy with you every time you go fishing. That way he'll be with you when the fish hit the spawn. And you'll be raising a fisherman !!!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The spawn should be when the water temp hits between 60 and 70 degrees. This applies to most freshwater fish. I doubt you would get skunked anytime you went fishing for red ear.

4. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    thanks for the help

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    one the water hits 60 degrees, go red-ear and gill fishing. target shallow flats with sandy or pea gravel bottoms and use a piece of night cralwer with a small split shot on it. just toss it out and drag it back in real slow. you will slay them everytime.

6. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    HERE IN NORTH GA. THE REDEAR START HITTING REALLY GOOD AROUND THE MIDDLE OF APRIL.I FISH FOR THEM ALL SPRING AND SUMMER LONG.I HAVE THE BEST LUCK IN THE EARLY AFTERNOON UP INTILL DARK,I ALWAYS USE NITE-CRAWLERS,CRICKETS,OR PINK WORMS.THEY WILL USUALLY HIT ONE OR THE OTHER,OR ALL THREE.BRIM-BUSTERS OR A REAL LIGHT WEIGHT POLE CAN GIVE YOU A GREAT DAY OF FUN.

7. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    when i'm at home in N/W ohio them blue gills on the cities quary start heating up as early as late march early april depend ing how the weather has been. You can fill buckets full of them in no time at all with some night crawlers and a light rod . You'll just have to take him out and see if you can't find a hump or stump near the shore for him to fish and let him just tear them up. .