Red ear on a 4/0 hook

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by CatfishHateMe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    anyone else ever cought a redear on a 4/0 shiner(kahle) hook? happened to me last night. i have no idea how it happened. we did manage to catch 50 bluegill tho between me and my brother, we were using corn about 2 1/2 feet deep, we were fishin at Lenape lake in shakamak state park right before dark. but i had 2 catfish poles out with cut bluegill on one and a crawdad on the other. next thing i kno my line was movin around so i set the hook, feels like nuthins on there, i reel in and theres a redear on the other end of my line. it was a pretty good size but for a 4/0 hook he looked like the hook needed to be taken out and placed in his back. ill get the pictures of the bluegills up later today.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jayson thats a neat story. Thanks.:big_smile:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    While casting Penn reels with huge plugs over Bluegill beds for large Striped Bass that feed on the big bluegills,you would regularly foul hook big male Bluegill.I always figured that they were striking at the plug in a attempt to guard their bed and got foul hooked.I did this for years with the same results.Often got my limit of twenty this way at Santee.They will be super aggressive at certain stages of their bedding.Perhaps the Redear was bedding where you were fishing.?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee