Red Drum in the Brazos River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by Blind In Texas, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    He was 12". Caught him on threadfins. Hit it like wimp. He was about 60 river miles inland and in a flooded creek that feeds into the river. Imagine that. With the bed being flooded for months, I wonder what else is in that water. Sharks? Dolphins? Mermaids!?!?!?!

2. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We caught one a while back around thompsons too. I don't know what else is there but I've heard of people catching specs and flounder pretty far inland when the river was real low. Maybe we should all keep an eye out for sharks haha

3. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
  4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    seems like i remember a tiger shark going up the mississippi.

5. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    It Mentions that the female bull shark was tagged and releases!!!! WTF why would they want to release a shark back into the river!! Take it back to the ocean, maybe 2 to 341 miles AWAY from the shore.

6. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    the reason they tag those sharks is to follow their patterns to find out how far up river they go and how much salinity is needed for their survival

7. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I still wouldn't feel comfortable with that. A shark is a shark, in my thoughts.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    And a gar is a gar...ask Brandon

9. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    oh i understand that completely pedro but think about it this way would you rather knowingly have sharks in the river or be swimming and get grabbed by one because they werent studied enough to know how far upriver they could survive

10. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I guess you have a really good point. And with that said you will not see me swimming in any river for a long, long, LONG time to come!:confused2:

11. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thats too funny pedro just remember most of the stuff that is done according to our parks and wildlife as well as other parks and wildlife departments usually do what is best for each and every riverway and water system

12. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
  13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]A[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]ny resemblance in the above story to actual fact may be coincidental and could be disregarded, depending on your mood. April Fools![/SIZE][/FONT]
    Had me going for a minute.:wink:

14. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    I would not have thought of that. Really good point.

15. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    They didn't tag a female bull shark in MN it was an April Fools article.
    :wink:

16. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    it doesnt matter that it was an april fools joke the fact of the matter is some sharks can live in very little salinity they have been found in louisanna rivers as well as some texas rivers to an extent

17. dieselman

dieselman New Member

State:
    texas
    they have been catching bull sharks frequently in the mississipi some even as far as st.luis, bull sharks can live in salt or fresh water, so watch out if your wade fishing just off the bank

18. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    If I was grabbed by one because he was being studied instead of removed, I would be pissed off as well as mamed.

My thought is that one DOESN'T allow that creature to continue upriver. I would think each case should be recorded and then the animal transported back to the ocean.....or eaten. They are tasty ya know....PETA.

If sharks could be muzzled and trained not to eat people then I would be all for it, but they can't, so I ain't. If I saw someone depositing a shark into fresh water I would call the game warden.

Why should anyone care how far up river they will swim. It's not like we could stop them anyway. There are no shark fences. It doesn't work for carp. Sharks are invasive to freshwater and IMHO adding them BACK to freshwater after REMOVING them from freshwater constitutes and offense. I would never return one. He would be killed on the spot or he would sit and choke until the game warden arrived.

I only live 60 river miles from the coast. I wade fish the Brazos when the water is clear and low. I guarantee that if I caught one from my area he would not live long.

Earlier this week the water settled to 12'. Two feet above normal for Richmond, TX. That means that there is still enough water for critters to travel between the pools in the bends and straight aways.

At the 10' normal level, some of the pools and bends of the Brazos are isolated from one another by long stretches of water 1' deep or less. Until earlier this week the water has been at 13' or more since October 2009. With that much freshwater pouring into Freeport, TX, I venture to say that Mr. Sharptooth could possibly be in the Brazos.

Did I say all that out loud? :)

19. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    You silly guy......made me get the surf rods out and ready for icey sharptooth fishin......now I gotta settle fer cats.