"Red Dot" on a big 50?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bootshowl, Aug 29, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Anyone tried one of the new dot sights on a BP rifle. Seen lots of scopes & noticed that there are 2 power red dots on the market now....but I already have a TruGlow, says it will handle the recoil. Have used it on rimfire and center fire, but haven't thumped it with a 50 yet. I like it, just wonder if it would hold up to the push of a thumper. It fits the standard weaver base. Thought I'd ask for more experience before I went an broke it.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am assuming your are talking about a laser. If this is correct I had one on a custom made pistol (.30 carbine) I know a hand cannon flame thrower. It only took 5 shots to destroy the laser. Course that was a couple of years ago and a muzzy would be heavier. Im not sure our state allows them. Will have to look that up. I was reading somewhere other day some states were thinking of outlawing the in-lines. Said they were nothing more than a rifle!!

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Gary my buddy has one on his turkey gun its a 12 ga. 3 inch mag. He swears by it and i know hes never missed a turkey.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Will this isn't a lazer unit. Just an optical, no power that suspends a red dot adjustable for brightness, in the center field where your round will hit. It mounts like a scope, and adjusts like one. I think it's 5MOA, which is fine for close in. All the catalogues have em listed, and the one's for 22's are very affordable. I spent bout $50 for the TruGlow, as it advertised it will hold up to recoil. Seen a lot of em mounted on pistols at the range. And I've used it on a 22 and 5.56. Really helps with the ol guy eyes. The dot is fussy but less so than open sights, LOL.
    This year I saw the same unit, but with a 2X magnification option. I don't care for lazers.....less you are a forward observer calling in an air strike,lol.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Gary, I have a Leopold Gilmore red dot, and don't even use it any more. It doesn't "gather light" like a scope does...in low light conditions, the red dot shows up just fine, but you can't make out your target.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have a BSA 30mm red dot that Ive tried out on my 22 and .50. It seemed to hold up well against recoil but I got tired of losing batteries or having them go dead when you need em. If I ever get me a turkey only gun I may try it on that.

7. bn2hunt

bn2hunt New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been using one for about 12 years on my 12gauge slug gun. With out any problems. Thought about putting one on my .50 when i got it but went with a BSA 3x9x40 instead. Somedays I wish I would have went with a red dot. Expecially when I am hunting in thick timber.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It will hold up. They put them on shotguns all the time now, and they kick about like a muzzy. If you get a good one like the tru glo you're talking about, then it shouldn't give you any problems except for the batteries going out right when ole "bigun" steps out, LOL!

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm using one on my 50cal BP, I had bought it for a pistol but would not fit rings. I am not happy with it, but It is because it turned out not to be a very good one. Having trouble seeing through it in low light, the red dot is good but can not see through the tube. I use a millet red dot on my pistol 45 LC, loaded for hunting and have had it on there for about three years now have shot a couple hundred rounds through, it has never change zero on it yet. I love it. It should work great on the black powder.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Gary;
    I tried one out when they first came out. Back then if the temperature was around or below freezing the batteries just drained away and the dot disappeared! Take it back in the house and in a few minutes everything worked fine. Take it back outside, .... :angry:
    I tried a new one last year as part of an experiment and article I was writing for a newspaper sports page and although better, I would not want to bet on it in cold weather. Part of the problem is those SMALL Batteries and for some, it's still a problem.
    If you buy one that runs about $300 to #500 {ie: Military Issue} you will have better reliability. Still, I would carry at least a couple sets of batteries in my pocket and hope for the best.
    I've had better luck, and talked with several other hunters that much prefer the "True Glo" system. They tell me that in any legal light your shooting in that they have enough light to activate them! In what little testing I've done, I am inclined to believe that is true.
    In short, Do your "Homework" and you will seldom get caught with an unexpected surprise.
    For the $300 to $500 dollars I mentioned above you can get a decent, perhaps even compact, scope with illuminated reticles that are much more reliable that those "Dot" sights are.
    It's YOUR MONEY. Be Careful How You Spend it! As with all other things, you usually get what you pay for.
    Personally, if it was me, and I was limited in what I could use to shoot Deer, I would either go out of State, or get something more reliable. I just could never totally trust a Dot sight.
    I know all the professional "Race Gun" shooters love them but those are used in a totally different conditions and you can bet the shooters factory sponsors make sure that the shooting professionals have the best first line equipment available. I learned that from Mr. Jerry Barnhardt when I "ROed" him several years ago at a $25,000 First Place Shoot along with some other "Tricks" of the trade to help you get a higher score!
    If you buy one, get it from someone like Cabela's or other such reputable company so that when it disappoints you in the two weeks after you get it that you can send it back and get your money back too!
    Hope this helps.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AMEN COYOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Boots, dont get one..I have 2 of them, I put one on my daughters 223 and first morning of the youth hunt she had a good shot at a deer but no dot was in the scope..the problem.. the sun was behind us and it made the dot disappear..when you pointed it any other direction it was fine..I wouldnt want to chance a missed shot because of some stupid something like this..