red abu 7000 problems

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Brian D, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A friend sold me a red 7000 made in sweden,he used it for snagging spoonbills.It is a good strong reels,I dont know if its the brass bushings instead of bearings,but the tension control knob wont stay set from cast to cast.my 7000c is awesome,I would like to get "red" close to the same performance as possible.any tip or suggestion would be appreciated, and good cattin to all my bretheren!!!!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure on the 7000's (I only have one and haven't had to take it apart yet) but on the 6600's the end of the spool actually kind of "snaps" into a plastic piece under the tension knob cap. Also, there should be a rubber O ring around the tension knob threads. I would imagine either one of these (cap not being seated properly on the spool axle or the O ring missing) would allow the knob to turn and move out of adjustment. Good luck with it!

Branden

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    how are you setting it? the knob on the right side ,handel side, needs to be tightned down all the way, its just a cap and will screw off and on easy, the knob on the left side will be the knob with the o ring that will hold your ajustment its the one you need to use to ajust your cast controll. if that is the way your setting it and it wont stay were you put it you might take a look at your o ring. if you take it off and put it back on and cant feel any extra restance as the cap screws over the o ring youll need a new one.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I believe the red Abu 7000 is an "i" model which has 2 bronze bushings. Since you got it used and it was a snagging reel in its past life it may be that the bushings are wore to the point that the spool is out of alignment with the tension knob on the outer cover. You can upgrade the reel with bearings and a better drag material for about $36.00, basically turning a 7000i into a 7000ic3. Here is a link for the parts. Good luck.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mikes reel repair.....

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If it's the cap on the left side of the reel, you're either missing the "O" ring or the brass shimms are missing out of the inside of the cap, or both. That should be a cheap and quick fix.