recycled meat

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JRicker, Jun 12, 2008.

1. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    How many of you shop the "recycled meat bin" at the grocery store. I love it. Great meat and 25% off or more what a deal!!!

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    seriously?

dude, what in the he!! is recycled meat? potted meat i can understand, but really what do they mean recycled?

3. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I call the meat bin where they put the nearly out of date meat in and reduce the price the recycled meat bin.:big_smile:

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I do especially for steaks--won't buy pork in it though. my dad said the best steak place he ever ate at had em hangin behind the cashier and they was covered in mold and you picked the one you wanted. HE was a doctor. LOL

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    oh, ok. i had some horrible thoughts running through my head about recycled.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I eat a steak, 99% of the time, it's out of date. I like it BETTER after it begins to oxidize. Don't think I could do mold unless it was aged within specific climate control parameters, and the mold was superficial, and only on the outside of the primal cut before it gets cut into steaks, but brown beef is just fine with me. I'm a meat cutter (for those that don't know), so I can get some sweet deals on some old beef.

Pork is a different story. It will get a green ring around it, or a green tinge, and the bone turns black. I don't know if it will hurt you, but I don't take my chances with it. Pork is cheap enough to eat fresh (when on sale).

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i'll race you to marvin's:big_smile:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will buy out of date meat as long as it is not turning green!!!!:crazy:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I do that as long as theres a butcher behind the counter. I bought some 400.00$ worth of supposedly fresh steaks from walmart and froze them ,upon thawing they turned green and stunk to high heaven. I dont buy from walmart anymore . I found out they thaw thier meat and sell it as fresh . .Its ok if ya cook it ,but not if you are buying and refreezing.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont get much meat ever at walmart. only local excel beef briskets. a 12 lber is $17-20. AND THATS CHEAP. THERE A BIT TOUGHER than some but slow cookes smoked i can work wonders with em.

link to a 1/2 i smoked the other night.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43069&d=1213232753

i raid the reduced section when i go. but i always look real close and smell.

i got some pork ribs once from iga reduced. when i went home and opened for grill i agout puked. in the trash they went.

this hunk was reduced last week for $6.10. a massive 2.24 lb chuck roast. well steak when it came to my plate.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42736&d=1212808015

:wink:

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Raise your own, then you know what you got

12. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    that's the way to do it if you can, but not everybody lives where they can raise their own

Reload, I 've seen tons of meat at WalMart that in the "fresh" but still frozen or had ice on it so I know what you say is absolutely true.