Recycle your Old Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by TXBlueHunter, Apr 13, 2006.

1. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Not sure how many Brothers & Sisters out know this but you can recycle your old fishing line.

I did not know until today. I got a new spool of Trilene and inside the box it has an address where you can send your old line to be recycled.

I know I hate it when I am fishing and see balls of line on the bank and when out in a boat have tangle in your hook or the prop of the boat. Not to mention how long it takes for line to break down once it is in a landfill. So I thought I would share this bit of information with everyone.

You can send your old line to the address below to be recycled. Also, please note I have no connections to Berkley in any way and I am not profiting from this posting.

Berkly Recycling
    1900 18th Street
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360-1099.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    We have a old guy here who gose around picking up old line as use's it to make crafts with so I give him my line every year. But there is a bait shop here that collects it also. Not sure what they do with it I never ask.

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks, good to know, I'm the picker upper around here.

4. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are other places were you can recycle your line. If there is a local Gander Mountain near you they will recycle your line. There are also a lot tackle stores and bait shops that do it. You just have to check around.
    :)

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The forest service has put little bins for used line at all the boat ramps and popular bank fishing areas over in LBL, just drop your old line in and it gets collected and sent to be recycled.

6. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    At some of the local lakes where I fish the scouts have done Eagle Scout Projects installing PVC pipes on posts to collect the line. This keeps it off the ground. So far it's been working pretty well.

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I noticed a recycle bin at Bass Pro Shop one day so I started saving all my old line in a plastic bag. When I finally took it to the store the guy said they quit collecting line for recycling but he would gladly take the line I had brought and throw it away for me.

I've still got the line. Thanks for the address.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I recycled a couple of wads of it this morning. Went fishing at my favorite hole, which I had not been to since October and filled two large plastic bags. They need to have a "make my day" law that you can shoot people who walk off their fishing spot and leave it trashed out. Wouldn't take too many funerals until the parks, lakes and rivers were clean. Naw, that's a little harsh, but something should be done.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I never knew that you could that.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Didn't Know You Could Recycle Line Good To Know . Need To Post It On Trees And Whatever For People To See,then Maybe They Would Take Home With Them.(really Dought It People Are Lazy. Myself I Always Take It Home And Put It In My Burn Barrel. May Have To Start Recylcing From Now On. Thanks For Address:

11. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Great info. Thanks.

12. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Some lakes in AZ have a tube to stuff your ball of line in when respooling on the bank. I can't stand line all over the place at some spots. First thing you gotta do clean up after the litter bug so you don't trip on their line and hook in the thump past the barb. Thanks for the site.

13. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I know the Bass Pro here in Grapevine has a bin for used fishing line near the area that they have all the fishing line. Never been much of a Recycler but should be.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would check you local yellow pages. I bet the liver containers, line spools and all that junk we get with our toys could find a new home.

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I always clean up where I'm fishin' and ALOT of people just discard their old line on the bank, I'm suprised really. We all heard the speal about what it does to wildlife and all so I'm grateful for line recycling. I will be using that address regulary. I own a few riverlots and people fish there and thats where I "collect" all the line at! Man-o-live it make me angry that people litter.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    thanks for the info, I go close to there. Yesterday, I was by the ocean, and 3 guys were workin on a pigeon, it was all wrapped up in line, both feet tangled together. It took 20-30 minutes to get it free, pigeon feet all swelled around the line. I take old line that is useless and practice knots, and make drop lines or leaders for sinkers. and other things, but I sure hate trippin on it at a lake, or river.