Recurve twisted limb

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by mangus, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    my dad has a recurve bow and i wanted to kill a deer with it because it was the one he hunted with years ago. i got it out and strung it up and found out one limb had a twist in it. is there any thing i can do to fix it or is there anyone i can send it to? if not does anyone have any suggestions on a good recurve bow that wouldnt cost much or one i could find on e-bay that would be good to deer hunt with?

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i had my dads bow for years ,but it had a twisted limb aswell i was told to toss it but wish id kept it anyway it was a bear recurve , i now have 3 compounds a jennings ,pse nova ,and a mathews lol want one

3. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A twisted limb is usually caused by improper stringing. If you use the step-through stringing technique it is very easy for the limb to twist, especially on a recurve.

Anyway, if the limb just "took" a twist, you may be able to fix it.

Get a bow stringer and string the bow. Sight down the string and manually twist the limb back straight. Get a piece of leather or put on a leather glove.

Sit down and watch television for a while. And, while you are watching the telee, rub the twisted limb until it gets hot from the friction. Keep rubbing it to keep it hot. This will be similar to steaming wood to bend it.
    Using friction, you will not be able to get it hot enough to hurt the glue joints.

Every once in a while, sight down the string to insure the limb is straight.
    Leave the bow strung for a few days suspended on two nails by the string.

However, if the twist actually broke some fibers in the limb, it probably will never totally straighten.

Good luck.

Robert

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    You can heat it up with tap water in a bathtub or somethin too. Some people use a hair dryer. Heat it up, twist it in the direction that will correct the problem until it cools. Let it cool completely and string it up and see how you did. Little nudges until you get where you want. if you want to pm me I can maybe find someone that fixes that kind of thing. Gentle heat is what you want, no campfires/torches here btw.

5. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    thanks for the help guys. i think the limb got the twist from leaning in the corner of the closet for about 15 years. it will mean a lot to me to be able to kill a deer with it since my dad hunted with it when he was younger. he stopped hunting when i was a kid and thats why it got left in the closet all those years. if yall have any more ideas please post. i will surely try the advice yall have already givin me and thanks again.

6. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    shooting a reflex buckskin compound now and love it. thanks for the offer and i bet that mathews isss sweet.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know the feeling of using your dads recurve bow. I have my grand fathers and fathers both made by my grandfather and have used them both when I was younger to hunt with. Now however I have given up hunting and love to look at them and remember the times we had when they were both still with me.

8. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Please please carefully inspect it for structural damage. It's really no fun when one blows up in your face.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah the mathews is sweet it shoots bout 30fps faster than my nova and a whole lot more accurate i have 4 pins set on it 20 30 40 and even 60 yrds at 60 i can put mind you no wind 5 arrows in a 4" circle at 40 and less i dont shoot 2 arrows in the same spot they cost to much i only use carbon arrows

10. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    let me know how you have your bow set up. i may need to change some things on mine or maybe i need you to give me some lessons. on the other hand thats great shooting. wish i was shooting like that, but i can still wack em and stack em.

11. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    just a heads up ya may wanna watch a long movie while your doing that..t takes a long time lol..lik emetioned before warm{NOT HOT!} tap water our a hair dryer on low heat will help as well but just simply rubbing the limb to get it warm is the best and safest way to do this.
    ya might wanna invest in a bow stringer as well if ya havnt already, i learned the hard way. a few years ago i bought a brand spankin new blackwidow SAG recurve and twisted the limbs because i used the step through tecnique. some one told me to heat the limb with HOT water and simply twist it back,string it and let it set for a few days....bad info! i strung the bow and my first shot the limb snaped in half as soon as the arrow left the shelf. blackwidows warrenty wouldnt cover the bow because i didnt use a bowstringer and i was out almost a grand.

12. Rickb6959

Rickb6959 New Member

State:
    Clayton NC
    I depends on how bad the twist is. If you want a good deal on a used stickbow try TradGang.com I have bought and sold allot there. They can also recommend who to call about your limb twist. Good people over there.